FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can video footage really be "upconverted" to a higher bitrate?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Andrade
Can video footage really be "upconverted" to a higher bitrate?
on Sep 23, 2013 at 2:02:06 pm

I was reading a web site where they suggested that happened before using their products. And I understand that I can go into my editor, choose a codec like DNxHD or Prores, and the bitrate will be higher.

However, when DSLR video is recorded, it is an 8 bit codec at a certain bit rate. So....what would the conversion actually do?

My thoughts are that it cant add what wasnt there in the first place. The suggestion on the web site is that if it is changed to a 10 bit file, dithering will improve. but again, if it was never recorded (if I am thinking correctly), then changing an 8 bit vid to a 10 bit will do.....nothing?

Forgive my ignorance. I just want to understand how this benefits...anything?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Can video footage really be "upconverted" to a higher bitrate?
on Sep 28, 2013 at 6:18:33 pm

I don't know the answer to your question - but it's an interesting one. I tend to agree with you, if it's not there at the start then you can't add it after the fact. ON THE OTHER HAND, if you think about upconverting video frame resolution (frame size) there are algorithms that attempt to create the extra pixels needed using what is already there as a guide - so they are creating new data. I don't know if the same can be done with bitrate.

Have you tried it out on a short clip? That would be the best way to find out if you can even see or notice any difference.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

George Goodman
Re: Can video footage really be "upconverted" to a higher bitrate?
on Oct 23, 2013 at 10:10:16 pm

I think I may have your answer, but you'll want to verify this.

I believe you are talking about changing the color depth (since you said 8 bit) which is a little different than your bitrate. The reason you may want to change your color depth would be for grading purposes. For example, if you changed your color depth from 8 bit to 16 bit, you would have a larger color palette to work from. This is my understanding of it anyway.

Bitrate is just the amount of data being transferred and is usually measured in kbps or Mbps

Hope that helps,

George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]