FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this a decent deal slash is the T3i still worth the purchase?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Fulton
Is this a decent deal slash is the T3i still worth the purchase?
on Sep 14, 2013 at 8:14:38 pm

Just looking for something to do pretty good video with, really would still like a GH2 but for some reason the price on that camera is still holding steady at around $800. I found a deal on Craigslist that comes with a Canon T3i, battery grip, 2 extra batteries, a 40mm lens, the standard 18-55 lens and a telephoto 18-200 (I think) lens. Also comes with 2 32gb SD cards for $500.

Are the minor video problems with the camera enough that this isn't a good deal?

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Is this a decent deal slash is the T3i still worth the purchase?
on Sep 14, 2013 at 8:53:09 pm

I would be interested in that deal in your shoes. The video performance of even the T2i isn't very different from much newer Canon models up to the 7D

Once you get into full frame yes there's a difference . How fast is the 40mm (aperture)?

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Sep 15, 2013 at 7:38:45 am

Brad - it depends on what you mean by "minor video problems".

If you're OK with no viewfinder in Live View (video), no autofocus when shooting video, a 12 minute clip length limit and moire that looks like this compared to Panasonics (60D vs GH2):

Then a used T3i a great deal.

If not, and a used GH2 for $800 is too much, perhaps a new G6 body for $659?

The G6's viewfinder and autofocus continue to work when shooting video, its maximum clip length is hours instead of minutes, it shoots at 28mbps 1080/60p, and it has focus peaking and wi-fi.

Best of all, it produces image quality very close to that of the GH2:

P.S. - if you really want a classic GH2, here is a used GH2 body (silver) for $672 at Amazon Warehouse Deals.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 15, 2013 at 11:20:03 am

[Brad Fulton] "Are the minor video problems with the camera enough that this isn't a good deal?"

The T3i is going to have the same video from the T2i, T4i, 60D, 70D, and 7D. Only the 5D Mark III give any substantial improvement. So, yes, it's a good deal if Canon DSLR video is acceptable to you.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Sep 15, 2013 at 6:07:02 pm

Personally, I don't see moire as a "minor" problem, so I got rid of my Canon, but a lot of people buy these cameras for video anyway.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 15, 2013 at 11:34:54 pm

[Bill Bruner] "Personally, I don't see moire as a "minor" problem, so I got rid of my Canon, but a lot of people buy these cameras for video anyway."

I see too many Canon vids with moire, aliasing, and that nasty yellow skin tone all over the place.

I have to imagine that people either don't notice or don't care.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Sep 16, 2013 at 1:53:43 am

I would definitely buy another crop sensor Canon for video, but they are going to have to do something about the moire. It's not like they don't have the engineering know-how to do it.

They fixed their swivel LCD problem starting with the T3i, their moire problem (at the high end) with the 5D Mark III, and their autofocus problem with the 70D - but they really need a single camera that deals with all three of these issues (plus the 30 minute limit).

What would be ideal would be a new APS-C sensor EOS M with a real EF mount (no adapter needed), an OLED viewfinder, a swivel LCD, the moire resistance of the 5D MkIII, the dual pixel autofocus of the 70D, unlimited clip length and a headphone jack - all in a tough 7D style weatherproof body (only smaller) for less than $2000. Multiple codecs and 1080/60p would be nice too, but I'm trying not to be greedy.

I would sell my Panasonic GH cameras and every one of my MFT lenses to buy that camera.

If it had practical RAW capability, even if only with ML, I would sell my BMPCC.

But I'm not holding my breath. Canon has no incentive to build a camera with all of these features - because it would cannibalize the sales of the moire-prone T5i, 70D, 6D and 7D, which are all still selling like gangbusters.

Guess I'll just have to hang on to my Panasonics and the BMPCC :)

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Sep 16, 2013 at 2:06:15 am

[Bill Bruner] "Canon has no incentive to build a camera like that - because it would cannibalize the sales of the moire-prone T5i, 70D, 6D and 7D, which are all still selling like gangbusters."

Yeah, that's the most frustrating part of the camera industry is that the camera manufacturers don't seem to recognize any incentive to build the BEST camera they can at an affordable price. I don't know of any studies that would prove this one way or another- but might it not be at least a possible scenario that if they create a fantastic camera with great features at a low or medium price that they would sell so many that it would offset any decrease of sales in their existing models while at the same time dramatically increasing brand loyalty - meaning the likelihood of buying their next camera from the same manufacturer?

I don't really have a business sense - if the average worker held back his best actual skills from his or her employer he/she might find himself fired or replaced. On the other hand I've often thought what I would do if an employer hired me as say a file clerk but then asked me to do video production for them as well for my normal salary? Honestly, I probably would resist that. It doesn't seem fair - I would do video production for them but they would have to pay me much more than my normal file clerk wage.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 16, 2013 at 11:35:18 am

[Bill Bruner] "What would be ideal would be a new APS-C sensor EOS M with a real EF mount (no adapter needed), an OLED viewfinder, a swivel LCD, the moire resistance of the 5D MkIII, the dual pixel autofocus of the 70D, unlimited clip length and a headphone jack - all in a tough 7D style weatherproof body (only smaller) for less than $2000. Multiple codecs and 1080/60p would be nice too, but I'm trying not to be greedy."

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but I hope you are.

Return to posts index

Pablo Aura
on Nov 1, 2013 at 4:30:09 am

Would be great to know what kind of "pretty good video" you are planning to do. For example if you plan to do some narrative short films with very controlled setups then why not, T3i can be good for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]