FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH3 Slo-mo: which method better quality?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Carr
GH3 Slo-mo: which method better quality?
on Sep 14, 2013 at 5:28:30 pm

Shooting slo-mo on the GH3 for a 23.98 project, I have two choices: using Frame Rate function or shoot 59.94 and conform the clip for a 23.98 timeline in the edit.

The camera's Frame Rate function of 40% relegates the acquisition bit rate to around 24Mbit/s. Shooting 59.94 and conforming for the sequence offers an acquisition bit rate closer to 50Mbit/s. The resulting apparent speeds are about the same.

So am I missing something, or is a post-slowdown method better in terms of clip image quality?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: GH3 Slo-mo: which method better quality?
on Sep 15, 2013 at 11:21:09 am

This would be a situation in which you should test both and see which one you like most.

Return to posts index

William Carr
Re: GH3 Slo-mo: which method better quality?
on Sep 15, 2013 at 4:43:28 pm

I did test both and the difference is not detectable on the desktop system w/ external monitor. It's something that might be an issue down the pipeline of post-production and with larger display exhibition.

Common sense says that higher bitrate is better, so if slo-mo viewing in-camera is not a demand on site I'm concluding the professional choice is shoot at 59.94 and have the inherent quality in the workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]