FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best monitor for DSLR; best DSLR for monitoring

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
Best monitor for DSLR; best DSLR for monitoring
on Sep 11, 2013 at 2:06:20 am

I'm more interested in the answer to the second question, actually. Which DSLR provides the best output for monitoring at maximum resolution? My video camera (EX1R) does a great job of outputting a signal to my wonderful 17" Flander Sci. monitor, but my DSLR (Canon 60D) does not. Is there a better alternative in that respect? I'd like to get pixel-to-pixel monitoring.

And, after all, I am interested in an answer to the first question too, with a twist: what is the best BUDGET monitor for a DSLR? I know there are several wonderful expensive solutions; but I don't want to pay that much for a DSLR monitor.

Thanks!

Bob C.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Best monitor for DSLR; best DSLR for monitoring
on Sep 11, 2013 at 9:51:59 am

Bob - I recommend the Panasonic GH3 - it is a great video camera with full resolution 1080p HDMI out (clean and recordable).

And the best budget 1080p monitors are the Lilliputs,. Very good value for the money.

One note - if you do get the GH3, make sure to turn the "Viera link" off for clean, recordable HDMI out (designed to connect Panasonic cameras with Panasonic Viera TVs).

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Rick Shorrock
on Sep 11, 2013 at 10:42:14 am

How about this: Get a tablet or a smartphone, a hot shoe adaptor and an app called DSLR Controller and use that as a monitoring device. The app is 8 bucks, and it lets you not only monitor the output of the camera, but control the camera's functions as well. I use an Android 9 inch tablet with DSLR controller this way, and it really helps.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 15, 2013 at 11:22:09 am

[Rick Shorrock] " I use an Android 9 inch tablet with DSLR controller this way, and it really helps."

Except there's a significant amount of lag which a lot of people would not care for (myself included).

Return to posts index

Rick Shorrock
on Sep 15, 2013 at 6:38:24 pm

I've used it mainly for composition during moving shots and the motion lag doesn't bother me at all. But having the tablet hooked up helps me by keeping my eye away from the magnifying eyepiece that I have attached to the flip out screen on my DSLR.

Return to posts index

Omar Magdi
on Sep 28, 2013 at 10:43:08 pm

I do use my AtomOS Ninja 2 to record ProRes, but it is nothing near HD, BUT! what is much better for all situations and mounting options, I do use a Zacuto EVF Pro, it is simply AWESOME. there is no sun at anytime, it's like getting the DSLR screen but 100'' onto your eyes!
and since I am using the Ninja with the EVF I do have an HDMI splitter, 1x2 so from my camera to the splitter, One to the EVF and one to the Ninja. the EVF will be more expensive, but it is worth and will be more bang for buck.
try it in any store.

Omar Magdi.
Cairo, Egypt.
Freelance Documentary Filmmaker/Photographer.
OMARMAGDI@GMAIL.COM
+20 1023354466

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]