FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera upgrade with DSLR gear & glass

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Coote
Camera upgrade with DSLR gear & glass
on Sep 9, 2013 at 1:35:51 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm looking to upgrade (rent first then buy) a video camera with which I can shoot 4k and RAW but one that will still allow me to use all my current canon 5D gear. I have lots of EF glass, a Glidecam 4000, redrock rig and various other bits. My dilemma is that I want to improve the quality without have to change everything, and importantly still keep it relatively simple, that is to say, a set up that works with just me and the camera (and maybe one other person at a real push), I know that kind of rules out anything RED or ARRI related but I still want to go one step above a Sony FS700 or Canon C500 for example.
Any help would be fantastic!
Thanks =]

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Camera upgrade with DSLR gear & glass
on Sep 11, 2013 at 9:23:54 am

Hi Jamie - the only Canon EF mount camera available right now that shoots both 4K and RAW is the $23,000 Canon C500.

If you don't have a local rental house, you can rent one for $1140 for 4 days at LensRentals.

If you can wait a couple of months, the new $3995 Blackmagic Production Camera should be shipping. This camera will shoot 4K RAW and has an EF mount for your existing lenses.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Jamie Coote
on Sep 12, 2013 at 1:14:20 pm

Thanks, that really helpful!
If I was to invest in an EF mount for something like the Epic would that surpass the C500, I cant find any real comparison? And as far as extra bits you need to actually use the camera I've read that the Epic is just absurd and I would need to almost spend another 10k on extra stuff, I'm also worried about the weight (I guess the Epic would be far too heavy for my Glidecam 4000) and the last time I was on a shoot with a Red it was the Red One and we had a 5 man crew (plus dolly etc) just for the camera. Then again, would I have a weight problem with the C500?

I'm very curious as to the difference between the Original Epic, the Scarlet and the Mysterium-x, I wasn't expecting anything Red to be in my arena, but I've seen some relatively small rigs using EF glass with very impressive footage on youtube. But again I cant help worrying about practicality and also the work flow in post, I really don't want to have to buy a new computer too! Have you ever worked with Raw 4K on a Macbook, is it even possible!?

I hadn't even considered anything from black magic (as I thought they were a bit of a gimmick). Obviously the price difference is huge but would I be better off with that, as I could certainly use my existing rig with the Blackmagic body. Though the slow motion capabilities of the Epic (like with the FS700) are very attractive and I don't know if the new Blackmagic will be able to shoot 225fps.

The C500 and the Epic are about 1200/week, the new Blackmagic will be less than 300/week, if they are even comparable I'd buy a Blackmagic (I mean a GoPro is 150/week)!
I also keep going back to the Sony FS700 (even though I'd need to wait for the 4K) as that's about 600/week and the EF mount is not that expensive.

There is far too much choice, C500 vs Epic vs Blackmagic (vs FS700). What would you go for?
I'm shooting three shorts and two features this year and I wanted to test cameras on the shorts (one for each, using a 5DIII on the first, then build up). Price isn't really an issue as it'd only be a week for each and I think we could stretch to an Epic or C500, but would there be any point?

I am so confused!
Thanks again for the help!

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 15, 2013 at 11:37:37 pm

[Jamie Coote] "There is far too much choice, C500 vs Epic vs Blackmagic (vs FS700). What would you go for?"

Personally, I would go for the C500 (why are you even including Blackmagic? It's not even in the same price league at all). However, that depends on how much effort you would have to expend convincing clients that it would be a great tool for their production (trust me, they've heard of Red and want to use it even when it's not the best tool for the job).

Return to posts index

Jamie Coote
on Sep 16, 2013 at 2:07:37 pm

FANTASTIC! Thanks, I'm glad someone sees the C500 as a better solution than the Epic. Even though I'll need to get a Gemini 4:4:4 recorder, that still better than thousands of euros of SSDs and the RED reader. I think I'll rent a C300 first, to familiarise myself with the controls (maybe shoot one of the shorts on that) then get the C500.
It's funny you mention the work in persuading people away from the Epic, though it's my call on how to shoot it's be great to know what to say. Other than the practicality of the system could you bullet point me some advantages?
Thanks again!
J

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 17, 2013 at 3:20:58 am

Easily the best bullet point for the C500 over Red is that you have a crazy amount of options over what you want to shoot in, from 1080p 4:2:2 50Mbps XF to 4k raw (and options in-between those two). With Red, you get Redcode, and then 1/2 debayered SDI output for anything else.

Red, however, gives you more framerate options, including the ability to do HFR, which the C500 won't do.

C500 will be a bit more compact setup depending on what you get for external recording. You also give up the handheld cability of the C300 because the grip is replaced with more connectors.

Return to posts index

Pablo Aura
on Nov 2, 2013 at 5:38:16 pm

Hi Jamie!,

I believe a C500 will be quite problematic for a one man camera crew also. Yo need an external recorder to go to 4k, real monitoring, etc. I believe in this price range you are starting to speak about more professional filmmaking and having at least a focus pulling/camera assistant is a must. The Epic could easily go to 35k-40k with accessories so maybe it's way to high. Have you looked at the Scarlet?, it's a good entry point, can record 4k raw, and later you can upgrade it to Epic and use the same accessories you already bought. You should also check the sony F5 and F55.
Blackmagic cameras are not a gimmick but not in the same league of an EPIC or C500.
Regarding your MacBook question, you shouldn't need to edit in 4k resolution, I would use a proxy format not to make it a nightmare.

Visit my website at
http://www.pabloaura.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]