FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommend a starter camera.

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Mulford
Recommend a starter camera.
on Sep 9, 2013 at 2:05:16 am

Hey! :)

To give you an idea of my noob-level, I currently film with a Flip camcorder. But, I want to get into DSLR video, and I'm wondering if you guys have a recommendation for a decent entry-level HDSLR? I'm on a tight budget, and I'm basically looking for the cheapest camera that will give me passable footage, and serve as a good learning tool.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Recommend a starter camera.
on Sep 9, 2013 at 1:54:06 pm

Hi Daniel - I don't know what "cheap" is for you, so I picked three cameras at three price levels.

Below $1500:

Panasonic GH3 body- $1098
Panasonic 14-45 lens - $318

Almost no moire, multiple codecs and fast data rates up to 72mbps, 1080/60p for slow motion and smooth action, B+ video autofocus, built-in wi-fi, mic and headphone jacks, essentially unlimited maximum continuous clip length, splashproof metal body. Best in this class.

Here is what this camera can do:

Below $1000:

Panasonic G6 w 14-42 kit lens - $749

Almost no moire, focus peaking, 1080/60p for slow motion and smooth action, built-in intervalometer, B+ video autofocus, built-in wi-fi and NFC, mic jack, essentially unlimited maximum continuous clip length. Best in this class.

Below $500:

Canon EOS M w 18-55 kit lens - $330 (closeout)

B- video autofocus, mic jack, 30 minute maximum continuous clip length, RAW capable with Magic Lantern - but no viewfinder.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Daniel Mulford
on Sep 9, 2013 at 9:48:46 pm

Thank you so much!! I'm going to check out all three of these cameras. :)

Return to posts index

Richard Jacana
on Sep 21, 2013 at 8:55:08 pm

Might I add, second had GH2 - $400 plus some Micro four third adaptors to some older but very nice lens. Go here - http://www.keh.com - and look at their second hand lens selection.

Return to posts index

Daniel Mulford
on Sep 10, 2013 at 12:13:28 am

The Canon EOS-M kit on closeout looks like a great deal.

Any reason to consider the slightly pricier 22mm prime lens kit, as opposed to the 18-55mm zoom? With a wider aperture, I'm thinking it might be cool for night filming.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Sep 10, 2013 at 2:12:07 pm

I agree. I recommended the EOS M 18-55 kit because it was less expensive, but the 22mm kit is a lot better if you plan to do any low light work - and it will give you a nice shallow depth of field when it is wide open, as in this test from Chad Soriano:

Good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

naskdn cluy
on Sep 15, 2013 at 9:10:06 am

Look at this site,it list the canon models and with the specific comparison
http://thedigitalcamera.net/canon-rebel-t5i-vs-sl1-vs-t4i-whats-the-differe...

Return to posts index

Jay Biskwee
on Sep 15, 2013 at 12:30:43 pm

I bought the canon 60D for my first camera and it has been a great decision. If you can afford to spend more I would get the 5d Mkiii!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]