FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR Video Upgrade

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Irene Delponte
DSLR Video Upgrade
on Aug 25, 2013 at 1:10:37 pm

Hello you guys!

I work as a 2D animator and I do motion graphics, but sometimes I work doing videos. I own a Nikon D3100 and sometimes I think it's not good enough. I mean I could get a better footage with a better camera. But, as I said before, since video is not my main activity, I don't want to spend a lot of money on a extremely "professional" camera.
So, here's when I need your advice: should I buy a "better" DSLR, such as Canon 60D (I've read in several sites they choose the 60D over the d3100) and some good lenses? Or should I spend money and improve the lenses and keep the d3100?

Thanks a lot for sharing your advices and experience!!!

:)

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: DSLR Video Upgrade
on Aug 25, 2013 at 11:10:51 pm

Hi Irene - As an animator, you may want to take a look at the Panasonic G6 and its built-in stop motion animation mode as seen here:

The G6 is also far less susceptible to moire than the Canons and Nikons, shoots at up to 1080/60p (Nikons and Canons are limited to 1080/30p), has focus peaking straight out of the box, has a viewfinder that continues working when you're shooting video (as you know from your Nikon, DSLR viewfinders blank out when shooting video).

In my view, it is the best large sensor video/still camera in its class.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Jay Porter
on Aug 28, 2013 at 11:42:06 pm

G6 is a great camera for a great price, but not a large sensor camera. It's 4/3rds and it has some of it's own drawbacks. If you want wide angle or shallow DOF it's much more challenging to accomplish.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Aug 30, 2013 at 12:28:50 pm

I'm a little confused - I have seen some nice shallow DoF work with the G6 and its micro 4/3 sensor using an inexpensive Olympus OM 50mm/f1.8 and a $16 adapter:

http://www.vimeo.com/73129151

I have also seen very nice wide angle work with the G6 and the Panasonic 7-14mm lens:

In my experience with micro 4/3 (GH1, GH2, GH3), with the right lenses and aperture control, neither wide shots nor shallow depth of field are that much of a challenge.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]