FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change shutter speed in Canon 7D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vladimir Lozinski
Change shutter speed in Canon 7D
on Apr 2, 2010 at 2:13:46 pm

Hi.
Thanks for setting up this forum as it has been a wealth of knowledge so far.

I have my new Canon 7D. AM shooting in 25p and cannot find how to change the shutter speed to 25 or 50 FPS. All options come up as 30, 45, 60,90 etc.
Also cannot access the screen menu to set up my custom controls to set the aperture and shutter settings.

Thanks
V.L.

Return to posts index

Neil Abeynayake
Re: Change shutter speed in Canon 7D
on Apr 2, 2010 at 6:55:15 pm

Vladimir,

Your camera came with an instruction manual and it helps to read it once in a while. In case you have misplaced it, here is a link from Canon Digital Learning Center which might help you.

http://cdn.sellpoint.net/canon/EOS_7D-11_Movie_Mode_Basics.html

Good luck,

Neil

"Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else".

Confucius

Return to posts index

Vladimir Lozinski
on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:31:23 pm

Thanks for the sympathetic note but the menu is not the issue.
Outside America people like to shoot in 25 PAL ( Pictures At Last) and shutter speeds as a multiple of that are preferable. It usually helps with lighting flicker which runs at 50hz etc. I cannot find any reference in the manual to adjusting shutter speeds to 25, 50, 100 etc.

Thanks.
V.L.

Return to posts index

Ian Clark
on Apr 2, 2010 at 7:59:39 pm

Hey Vladimir,

I think what you meant to say in your first post is that you're trying to change the frame rate, i.e. 24fps, 25fps, 30fps, 50fps, not the shutter speed?

Should be right there in the menu. You'll see on one of the menu tabs an item a few lines down that has the size/framerate- just wheel down to that and change accordingly.

If it's helpful, a general rule of thumb is to have your shutter speed double your frame rate, i.e. 24fps I generally keep my shutter at 50 or sometimes 40 for slightly more softness when panning. Anything higher and you'll get that choppiness/strobing. It all depends what you're looking to do. I'd also recommend reading through the manual- lotta stuff these little cameras are capable of- I'm still learning myself.

Good luck man-

IAN CLARK | http://www.incproductions.org

Return to posts index

Gary Bridger
on Jan 14, 2013 at 10:52:07 am

Problem is not changing shutter for the video, its the stills. before setting video.

I have the same problem, After watching a video on setting up the 7D for video. they start off by setting the camera to M then iso to 160 aperture ( lens allowing to 2.8 But the shutter speed gets set to 50th sec. i remember I had this , Once , but cannot get into it, I can select 45th 60th But not 50th. Why is this ?

Return to posts index

Vladimir Lozinski
on Apr 2, 2010 at 9:09:27 pm

Thanks for the humane response.
I understand shooting formats and have no problem with the shooting frame rates.
I have worked in PAL, NTSC and now HD for the US networks in Europe and Middle East and Asia for the past 30 years as a vid-kid and beyond, but am new to DSLRs

My specific question is the shutter speed. For some reason I cannot dial up a shutter of 25, 50, etc. I only have the 30, 60, etc. options.
The camera came from the US where multiple of 30 shutter speeds are not an issue. I just feel more comfortable operating in 25 FPS with a 50, 100 frame shutter rather than 30 or 60.

Cheers.
V.L.

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Apr 2, 2010 at 9:46:09 pm

Are you in Tv or Av mode?

Double check you are in manual mode, select movie shooting at the start/stop button, rotate the wheel on the top plate near the shutter and you should see 40 50 60 etc. You will not see less than 1/30th in movie mode.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Vladimir Lozinski
on Apr 2, 2010 at 10:16:32 pm

HI.Thanks for the response.
Yes. I'm in manual. The manual aperture control works fine. But I only have 30,45, 60, 90,125, etc. as my shutter choices. Cannot for the life of me find multiples of 25 that we PAL people like.

Cheers.

V.L.

Return to posts index

damienne caron
on May 5, 2010 at 10:12:18 am

Hi Vladimir,
If you get a useful answer to your question please share it. I am forced to shoot at shutter speed 100 when in 720p (PAL).
Thanks
Damienne

Return to posts index

Ronny Ronster
on Dec 1, 2014 at 3:39:10 pm

Why are you being sarcastic? Just post a helpful response if you have one - don't knock the guy. What's the point? It makes him feel bad and it makes you look nasty and a bit lacking.

Return to posts index

stefan narancic
on May 4, 2010 at 4:58:52 pm

hello vladimir
in menu
go to second last icon (advance options)
choose exposure
under exposure level increments
there i suspect your camera is set to 1/2
it should be 1/3 to access those 50... 100 steps for the 180 rule
1/3 is also the default setting (euro 7d)

Return to posts index

Vladimir Lozinski
on May 5, 2010 at 2:42:19 pm

Hi.
Sorry for not tracking my own posting. I have been in Bangladesh shooting for the past 3/4 weeks.
The problem seems to have been a software glitch.
I finally reloaded the firmware and all came back to normal. 50/100/ etc frame shutter rates popped up as per normal. I have been trying to recreate the fault but unsuccessful. I think it was when I pushed some of the latitude parameters that it went strange on me.

The only advice I can give from the experience is to reload the firmware and hope.

Regards.
VL

Return to posts index

damienne caron
on May 14, 2010 at 9:57:57 am

Hi Vladimir,
I followed your advice and uploaded the firmware (actually I upgraded to the newest firmware) and in 720 50p mode I have only these shutter speeds: 60-80-100-etc
Whereas in 1920 25i, I have 30-40-50-60-80-100-etc

Do you have the same values?
Thanks!
Damienne

Return to posts index

Nasir Mccoy
on Apr 14, 2011 at 1:14:17 am

Hello can you please help me where did you find the firm ware to upgrade fix the shutter speed. I am having the same problem thanks.

Return to posts index

Vladimir Lozinski
on May 5, 2010 at 2:46:01 pm

P.S. Stefan's answer cracked it. Brilliant. Thanks for that.

Return to posts index

Hani Arab
on Sep 25, 2011 at 12:25:10 am

I double that, It worked for me also. Thanks Stefan.

Return to posts index

alex jamieson
on Apr 10, 2013 at 1:18:12 pm

I know this post if three years old but I have just spent the best part of two hours trying to solve the problem (as I bought a 7D for the first time) and this post solved this issue.

many thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]