FORUMS: list search recent posts

$100... What should I do with it?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Hwan
$100... What should I do with it?
on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:55:55 am

I have $100 I can spend on anything. I have a camera, kit lens, uv filter, and all the batteries I need. What are some accessories that you can recommend(can be a shotgun mic, some filter, a type of lens, anything related to dslr video). If you could include the B&H or Amazon link to the products listed that would be great. Thinking of either getting a 50mm f1.8 or Zoom H1.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: $100... What should I do with it?
on Aug 21, 2013 at 11:21:31 pm

Of course this largely depends on what you are about to do.
I can only say, that I have both, the Zoom H1 and the 50mm 1.8 II and I'd buy the 50mm 1.8II in an instant again, if it breaks (and that thing breaks fast ^^) and I'd not buy the H1 again.

The H1 is a great little device, don't get me wrong, but it's not very flexible. After about half a year I invested in the Tascam DR-40 which is "only" about double the price but (for my needs) absolutely perfect.

So I'd say if you don't have a fast lens yet and you have that money to spend, you can't get wrong with the "nifty fifty"... Superb picture quality and very fast. Done a lot of even professional shoots with it - both video and pictures...

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

Jon Hwan
on Aug 24, 2013 at 3:32:21 am

Thanks for your advice.

I'm not so sure about what you meant about the nifty fifty breaking... Is it DIY-fixable or do you have to take it to a canon store to fix it?
Will the Zoom H1 be suitable for short films(3-5mins long) and/or documentaries(I'll just mount it on the camera, or mount on a flash bracket)?
Also, I have a 18-55mm kit lens. After I add the 50mm f1.8 to my collection, what lens should Ii get?

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Aug 24, 2013 at 2:12:47 pm

The 50mm 1.8II is... well... not really extremely well built. It's completely made out of plastic (apart from the lenses and the electronics of course).
I dropped mine in the camera-bag just about 1ft to the ground and it fell apart.
Couldn't repair it myself. Tbh I didn't bring it to the service but bought a new one. And I would buy it again, although I must admit, that the 50mm 1.4 is way better built, even faster and "only" about triple the price.

The H1 on the camera is IMHO not the best idea for a shortfilm. The sound-quality is extra-ordinary good (esp. when you consider the price), but you won't get good sound by only using the recorder, because you most definitly won't get close enough with the mics. And since the built in mics have a wide stereo field you get lots of ambient sound.

You can plug in a shotgun mic (not XLR mics or mics that need phantom power though), but I would think that you'd better get one of these Rode or Sennheiser shotguns that are especially built for DSLR filming. You can plug these directly into the camera.

Lenses... I'm not the lens expert, so maybe someone other might chime in here, but since you have the Kit lens, I would presume you have an APS-C camera (not a full frame like the 5DII or 5DIII).

The 50mm on a crop has a quite narrow angle of view (about that of an 80mm on a full frame cam). The Kit-lens is IMHO not as bad as many people say. I did a lot of filming with it. But it's not very fast.
The 40mm 2.0 is a fantastic little lens, but if you already have the 50mm, I'd say it won't give you too much in addition. I borrowed it once and ... yeah ... great lens, but not really wide enough to be a must-have if you already got a 50mm.

I have the 28-135 which I personally love to death ^^ Great (but loud) IS, and quite a good range of focal lenghts. But it's also a slow lens starting at 3.5 and ending at 5.6.

So maybe the 35mm 2.0 would be an idea. This is the lens that I think I'll get next.

------------------------------------------
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot." - Buster Keaton

Me on Twitter (english/german)
http://twitter.com/FastFoodVideo

Return to posts index

Kevin Duffey
on Aug 31, 2013 at 6:04:35 am

Either a decent video tripod or a slider perhaps for video stuff?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]