FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Power Nightmare

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Smith
External Power Nightmare
on Aug 15, 2013 at 1:19:06 am

Hi Everyone,

I've recently purchased a Lanparte rig for my Nikon D5200, which works amazingly well, couldn't be happier with it. Paired with my lenses (notably my Samyang 35mm Cine lens), it is astounding for video, surely one of Nikon's best DSLRs for video from footage I've seen.

The only real issue is the fact Lanparte don't make a dummy-adapter for the EN-EL14 battery the D5200 uses. They make loads for Canon, a few for Sony, and one for Nikons which use the EN-EL15, but not the EN-EL14.

I've had a nightmare with trying to work this out, but I have remained confident I can solution, and think I've found one in the shape of the EP-5A.
http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-ni...tor.htm#Images

Does anyone with any knowledge of this adapter, or even a knowledge of basic electronics, know if the following will work:

I basically needed an empty EN-EL14 shaped dummy which I could solder a DC cable into which I can then connect to the power distributor on my rig. To give a better idea of what I'm after, I need the EN-EL14 version of this - http://www.lanparte.com/html/178.html

I was thinking of making one from a 3rd party battery, but the major issue was that taking apart a Lithium-Ion battery to remove the cells is extremely dangerous. As a result, I would never attempt it myself and any repair shop I contacted refused to to it.
This seems to offer a solution, but I'm looking for advice from those who might know.

Would buying an EP-5A, chopping off the plug and soldering a DC jack into place, work as I want it to?

I need to know quite urgently as I've some documentary work coming up in about 10 days time!

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
Re: External Power Nightmare
on Aug 19, 2013 at 6:33:45 pm

I now have the EP-5A, so guess it's just a case of stripping the wire and soldering the DC jack plug onto it.

Only it has 4 pins, not 2. Which are hot and cold? What are the other two?

Anyone?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]