FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring video from a D800

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin Gross
Monitoring video from a D800
on Aug 13, 2013 at 5:43:54 pm

So I'm sure this has been posted to death, but I'm not finding it with the search function. But any help would be appreciated.

I can usually get by shooting DSLR video without any external monitor. I know this is kind of a no-no, but either the need hasn't been pressing, or I was using a preassembled rig. I need to find my own solution now.

I'm usually a Nikon guy, I'm familiar with the Nikon functions and I have Nikon glass. I'll be renting a body next week to film a web ad and will need to find a monitoring solution. I can rent a D800 or D4 if only one or the other will give me access to a monitor, I'd rather rent the D800 though, but really, it could be anything.

But what about the monitor? Will an iPad work? People use iPads for everything. To be honest, I'm not even sure how these little field monitors are connected. Usually I use OnLocation tethered to a video camera, so this really isn't technology I'm familiar with.

Edit:

So in the interest of an overly long post... I just googled up my similar post from last year. At the time, I was using a Canon. It was suggested that if I used a Nikon I could connect to my MacBook using OnLocation. That would be awesome!

So do I just need to convert from this HDMI business to a FireWire 400? Is that a simple enough thing to do?

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
Photographer/Videographer | Marketing
22833 SE Black Nugget Road | Issaquah, WA 98029
206.727.5501 x5237
http://www.sanmar.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]