FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Camera Confusion

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Blackwell
New Camera Confusion
on Aug 6, 2013 at 1:30:02 pm

Hello Everyone,

The Company I currently work for is looking to upgrade / expand it's video marketing department. Currently we have two cameras that we are using, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/821133-REG/JVC_GY_HM150U_GY_HM150U_Pr... and a Canon EOS 5D Mark 2. We plan on mainly shooting instructional videos for our product, with the occasional training video for job openings. The Instructional videos would consist of very little movement. Currently we are using the Mark 2 as our main video camera due to the JVC just having sub par quality / color when compared to the Canon. Due to the JVC being sub par / having vastly video quality compared to the Canon, we are limited to just using 1 camera during shoots.

Thus brings us to our problem. We are looking for a new camera to replace the JVC, with hopes we can move the Canon to be our B Camera and the new one being the primary. I have been looking into cameras, but they are just so many options that i'm getting confused and can't tell what is worth spending a little extra and what isn't. We are looking to stay under 4k, (+/- 200ish), 1080 HD, Aux mic connectors, and preferably SD Card storage.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
Re: New Camera Confusion
on Aug 6, 2013 at 3:00:59 pm

My first choice is out of your budget, which is the new Canon C100. High performance video camera that is extremely sharp, very quick to set-up, 12 stops of dyanmic range and can shoot up to 20,000 ISO. It can also run all day on 2-3 batteries But it's about $1,000 more than your budget.

Otherwise, since you already like the results of the Canon 5D Mk2, you might look at adding a 5D Mk3, which is a nice upgrade to the Mk2.

Return to posts index

Kyle Blackwell
on Aug 6, 2013 at 3:19:29 pm

I was talking to a couple other people and they also mentioned the C100. Which may be what I have to end up getting despite the price. Any thoughts on how the C100 compares to other cinema cameras?

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Aug 7, 2013 at 3:15:11 am

>>> Any thoughts on how the C100 compares to other cinema cameras?

The only other cine cameras in it's price range are the Blackmagic Cine cameras, which are great for Indie work but aren't designed for fast turn around, so the workflow is a considerably slower than the Canon C100.

You've already got Canon EF lenses for your 5D Mk2, so these will work on the C100 too. It's a Super35 sensor camera, so compared to your 5D Mk2 it's about a 1.5x crop factor on your lenses. ( i.e. a "normal" lens would be a 35mm instead of a 50mm )

The other benefit to the C100 is professional XLR audio inputs, which is a big step up from the 3.5mm mini-jacks that DSLR cameras use.

The main drawbacks to the C100 are...

- It records to the AVCHD CODEC using 4:2:0 color, but you can record 4:2:2 color with an external recorder. ( not very necessary unless you plan to use a lot of green-screen and FX in your shots )

- It does not shoot 60p footage, only 24p, 30p, and 60i. ( so no slow motion )

- Small EVF display, which some people have difficulty with. You can always use the larger LCD display, or connect an external EVF.

...Once you are familiar with the C100 you likely won't use the 5D Mk2 very often, as it's a huge step-up in video quality and capability.

Return to posts index

Kyle Blackwell
on Aug 7, 2013 at 11:51:34 am

Thanks a ton for all the info. I'll probably try and go with the C100 then. Thanks again for al the help!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Aug 6, 2013 at 6:07:25 pm

Like Guy mentioned, getting a Canon 5DMIII would be a great option, but I would also add that I assume you would still keep your JVC. I currently only shoot on HD DSLRs but I also recognize that there are jobs for which a standard camcorder is a better choice and so I think it would be smart, if you have the option, to keep the JVC, or something like it, around for awhile.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

James Kumorek
on Aug 14, 2013 at 1:44:31 pm

I use a Canon 60D and a Canon C100, but also have a Canon XF300, which I love for shoots where a really shallow depth of field isn't needed, and the ability for the camera to have complete control of the lens (like zoom) is desired. The shots from the XF300 match reasonably well with the Canon DSLRs and the C100.

I use the XF300 for my general video work, and switch to the C100 for specialty shots or where specialty lenses or shallow depth of field is needed.

- Jim

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Aug 7, 2013 at 1:55:39 pm

The Sony FS100 should be good, even an EA50. Actually why not look at the GH3 - it would be perfect and still be way cheaper than your budget.

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to Reds to the Arri Alexa.

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Sep 2, 2013 at 11:50:16 pm

How about saving money and using 2 60D's with Magic lantern installed, you can then get some audio and lighting gear to make a decent production. Why spend all the money on a great camera and leave little to none for audio, lighting and post?

My 0.02

M

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]