FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nikon D7000 --- Battery Charger and Battery

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Rehm
Nikon D7000 --- Battery Charger and Battery
on Jul 30, 2013 at 8:54:43 pm

hello, This week, for the first time, I have let my battery (Nikon EN-EL 15) drain completely empty. I then charged it using the Nikon MH-25 Quick Charger and timed the charge.

Hence the word "quick" - Is 2 hours and 6 minutes quick???

Are there other options with batteries and chargers?

In September I have a wedding to FILM (it's a friends wedding and I'm not getting paid - but I still want to do the job properly and professionally as though I am getting paid - obviously). I have 2 batteries currently and will get 2 more. My plan was to have 2 charging while using 2 - keeping this pattern going all day/night as needed. But with the long charge time I am feeling uneasy.

Also - this is my first time filming a wedding with a DSLR.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for any info,

David

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Nikon D7000 --- Battery Charger and Battery
on Jul 30, 2013 at 10:48:32 pm

I would suggest buying a battery grip for your Nikon that allows you to use AA batteries OR your standard Nikon batteries usually two at a time

Also check into the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries sold in a pack of 8 (blue and black packaging) around $20 in stores like Best Buy - maybe $18 or so online. They are lasting for me SOOOOO much longer than traditional AA battery.

I counted up the number of batteries I use in a typical DSLR shoot with 2 wireless lavs, external shotgun mic and a Zoom H4N and it comes out to 20 batteries:

Seventeen AA

Two Canon E-8

One 9 Volt

I also suggest you look into purchasing one of those chargers that let you charge your standard Nikon camera batteries at least two at a time. It's not super fast BUT you could have an extra set of batteries charging while you are filming that wedding. Problem with that solution is that those camera batteries are pretty darn expensive.

Ultimately, rechargeable AA batteries seem like the best option to use in combination with the standard camera battery that works with your camera.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

David Rehm
on Jul 31, 2013 at 12:27:22 am

Thanks for your info.

I have the battery grip (I didn't mention it though) and plan on using it with two batteries in while 2 batteries are on charge.

I planned on having a ton of AA batteries. I will look into your suggested brand.

I was thinking of getting this charger as it charges 2 batteries simultaneously.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/823954-REG/Pearstone_DLC_NIENEL15_Duo...

Thanks again.
David

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 31, 2013 at 1:05:48 am

Yes that's a good brand, I know they recently updated their models so make sure you are getting the new version (it's mentioned in the reviewers comments on Amazon as I recall)

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Ken Jones
on Aug 3, 2013 at 4:16:25 pm

I have that same Pearstone charger and it works really well. I don't think it is any faster than the supplied Nikon charger, but I mainly like the fact that when I am on the road I can go to bed at night and put two batteries on charge. I have two D800s and shoot lots of interviews with both cameras simultaneously. I have a total of six batteries, one Pearstone charger, and the two Nikon chargers. I find that is plenty to shoot continuously as long as I keep putting the dead ones on charge. I have also found that the Wasabi brand batteries last longer than the Nikon batteries and are about half the price. The only caveat is that I don't think the Wasabi batteries communicate with the camera as well as the Nikon batteries. The Wasabi will go from "blinking red warning" to totally dead in about 60 seconds. The Nikons will run about 2-3 minutes after you get the "blinking red warning".

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Aug 1, 2013 at 7:25:14 am

Hi David,

Bottom line with the D7K is having spares even with the grip solution which is good advice.

Samy's camera has 2700mAh rechargeable AAs in a 12 pack by Lenmar which hold their charge well, and are a value.

Typically most brands are made in a just a few places in China, with some exceptions.

I prefer using the stock Nikon battery for camera work and the Lenmars for the Zoom, the LED, or other outboard devices.

We have 2 D7ks and have a second charger plus the D800 uses the En-EL15 battery which works out well.

We shot extensive video and stills last month (wedding outdoors) from about 4 PM until 9 PM and drained only one battery on the D800.

Between the D3S a D7K and D800 we shot around 1200 files including a couple dozen videos of some length.

In 2012 we did a similar shoot with 2 D7Ks of a concert in Santa Barbara using the two chargers.

We have 7 En-EL15s but did not deplete them all from sound check through the show (5 hours) even with back up charging at the laptop and card reader table (1 D3S and 2 Canons also on site).

Spares, indeed.

Have fun,

Rob Manning

Return to posts index

David Rehm
on Aug 1, 2013 at 3:17:40 pm

Thanks Rob!

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved