FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Sensitive Intl' DVD Burning Question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Krieger
Time Sensitive Intl' DVD Burning Question
on Jul 26, 2013 at 5:50:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have an question re formatting a video for broadcast internationally but can't get an answer from any of my friends. Was hoping you could help as it ships out today.

We shot some teaching in HD (16:9). My client wants 5 copies of it burned to DVD to be sent to Nigeria and played on public TV there. The contact in Nigeria wants a PAL DVD with 4:3 formatting.

When I go to burn the file, I am not sure if I should burn it in 4:3 or 16:9. I have kept all my graphics/titles within a 4:3 title safe area. Can he use the 16:9 file and just the ends will get cut off? Or does he need it in 4:3 to broadcast it. The Nigerian contact doesn't know enough to answer.

Can you help?

Thx!
Jeff
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Time Sensitive Intl' DVD Burning Question
on Jul 26, 2013 at 6:29:00 pm

I am not understanding your question, simply put, why not just give him PAL 4:3 if that is what he is asking for?

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Jul 26, 2013 at 6:31:24 pm

I guess that is what I am asking. Should I burn to DVD at 4:3? Will it look ok even if I shot at 1920x1080? Thx for responding.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 26, 2013 at 6:48:10 pm

If you export your 16:9 footage as is to 4:3 or convert your video to 4:3 then my assumption would be that black pillars would be added to the side of your video frame automatically - not my favorite look.

Instead what I would be tempted to do is to go back into my editing program and set up a new project/sequence as 4:3. What should happen is that your footage should be conformed to the new settings and you would not have those black pillars

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Jul 26, 2013 at 6:54:06 pm

Thx, Steve! So, I went back into FCP X and created a project with PAL SD settings. Then I copied all the content from the original HD project and pasted into the PAL SD project. Everything looks great. Except I do have black bars on the top and bottom. Any idea why? Thx!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 26, 2013 at 7:16:46 pm

Honestly I am not sure why you are getting letterboxing unless the original footage was letterboxed...other than that you've got me! :-)

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Jul 26, 2013 at 7:18:43 pm

Ok. No worries. I had no idea I could create a project/sequence in FCP X at 4:3 for PAL. I am breathing easier. So thank you so much. I purchased an old copy of iDVD and was going to create the menus, burn the DVD's from there. Any advice on that? I read I can choose PAL from w/in the prefs in iDVD. Thx again!

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Jul 27, 2013 at 4:23:55 am

Steve,

Thanks again for your posts. My initial workflow isn't working. I am moving to export from X to Compressor. I created a batch template to burn to PAL DVD. Below are the video settings. Do you know if these seem accurate?

Name: PAL DVD
Description: MPEG-2 elementary stream for DVD Authoring
File Extension: m2v
Estimated size: 1.47 GB
Type: MPEG-2 video elementary stream
Usage:SD DVD
Video Encoder
Width: 720
Height: 576
Pixel aspect ratio: PAL CCIR 601
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Selected: 25
Frame Controls On:
Retiming: (Fast) Nearest Frame
Resize Filter: Statistical Prediction
Deinterlace Filter: Fast (Line Averaging)
Adaptive Details: On
Antialias: 0
Detail Level: 0
Field Output: Same as Source
Start timecode from source
Aspect ratio: 4:3
Field dominance: Automatic:
Selected Progressive
Average bit rate automatic,
selected: 7.826087 (Mbps)
1 Pass VBR enabled
Maximum bit rate: 9 (Mbps)
High quality
Best motion estimation
Closed GOP Size: 12, Structure: IBBP

Thx!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 27, 2013 at 4:33:07 am

It seems fine, MPEG-2 is the correct format. I just did a quick search on Google and apparently iDVD is known for choking on MPEG-2 files as a source file format unless all the specifications are exactly correct - including audio. iDVD is designed to CREATE mpeg-2 files for a DVD but has trouble accepting them as input, strange.

So what I suggest you do is research what input formats work best for your version of iDVD, a simple Google search should get you started - I haven't burned a DVD in years so I am not a great source of info

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

Jeff Krieger
on Jul 27, 2013 at 4:35:46 am

Thanks again, Steve. Because I don't know what I'm doing, I've gone back and forth between two different workflows. One is iDVD - yes, it got choked on a 2 min test file. The other is thru Compressor. You can burn directly from Compressor. Am trying that.

Thx again,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Johnny Wu
on Jul 27, 2013 at 11:02:14 am

I found this via google https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2218485?start=0&tstart=0

Return to posts index

Johnny Wu
on Jul 27, 2013 at 11:03:51 am

I found this via google. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2218485?start=0&tstart=0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]