FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backup DSLR

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Watson
Backup DSLR
on Jul 25, 2013 at 12:39:46 pm

Hi there,

I film wedding videos with a Canon 5D Mark 2. I have the 24-105mm lens as well as a 50mm lens. It works well for my needs.

I have a second camera with operator at the back of the church/ceremony.

I still feel my heart racing when the bride comes up the ailse as I don't have a backup camera should my Canon fail. I don't want to spend the same amount on a 5d Mark 2 for it to be a backup camera so was thinking of a slightly more affordable option.

My wife and I are about to start a family so it would be nice to have a second DSLR for baby photos/videos and generally for taking on our travels so I was thinking of a slightly more compact camera than a 5d Mark 2.

Some have said a 7D, others a 6D or a 60D or a 70D. Others mention the issue that some are full frame and others aren't and how that would work with my lenses.

I'd be interested to hear what you reckon would be a good option or if you have any other suggestions.

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Backup DSLR
on Jul 25, 2013 at 6:43:06 pm

I feel a Canon 6D would be a great choice, an affordable (relatively) full frame camera that can do most of what your 5D MII does for you now. Of course, sticking with Canon is a good idea so that you can effortlessly share lenses between the two camera bodies but it seems you are already on board with that idea.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Mike Watson
on Jul 31, 2013 at 2:23:06 pm

Hi guys, thanks for your input. I think the 70D sounds like a good option as it should be a bit smaller and lighter as well as having more video friendly functions. It's not out for a while though so I may have to wait a bit longer.

I don't believe it has a full frame sensor. But could you honestly tell me what difference it would make if I was filming with one full frame camera and another cropped. Will it really be a problem when editing?

Many thanks,

Mike.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Jul 26, 2013 at 2:43:47 pm

Mike - since you'll also be using it for home video, I recommend the $1199 70D. It is the only Canon DSLR with autofocus that actually works, something that is essential for keeping up with kids.

You may also find it useful for weddings. Follow focus is great, but is a lot of work.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]