FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on external noise cancelling mike for EOS600D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff Bennett
Advice on external noise cancelling mike for EOS600D
on Jul 21, 2013 at 4:34:13 pm

Hello,
In a couple of weeks I will be shooting an interview video in a noisy environment (constant machine noise background).

I plan to use my Canon 600D (I think that's a T3i in the US). I have Magic Lantern installed.

Does anyone have advice or recommendations for a low cost (less than $100) tie-clip, noise reducing microphone I could use?

Cheers,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Advice on external noise cancelling mike for EOS600D
on Jul 21, 2013 at 9:58:10 pm

Uhhhh, bad news: no such thing as far as I know, certainly nothing in your budget range. Lavaliers still pick up plenty of background sounds - so would any mic. You could maybe try hanging a very directional shotgun microphone off a mic stand just out of frame - at your budget level you would be looking at renting the audio gear you need not buying.

If you record a few seconds of "silence" at the start of each sound clip you may be able to use that noise profile in an audio editing program to help remove some of the background noise during post production but really the simple answer is "don't do the interview there" - you can always film b-roll there for a little color. In fact, it's a cool technique when filming an interview with someone who works with machines, computers etc to film them separately interacting as they work and then use that as B-roll while continuing the interview audio and then switching back to the primary interview location without a break in the interview audio.

I never do this myself but I guess you could film the subject in a quieter environment in front of a green screen and then composite in the original noisy location in post but that's a lot of work and can look fake. This way you could record the machine room sounds separately onto another track in your video track and have very precise control of the background sounds.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 22, 2013 at 1:52:06 am

One more thing, I maintain a channel of Vimeo videos that I find particularly inspiring from a technical and artistic point of view, several of them are documentary style profiling craftsmen and people who work with a variety of machinery, tools etc. You may want to study how some of these films handled sound in noisy environments for hints:

https://vimeo.com/channels/filmsthatinspireme

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Geoff Bennett
on Jul 22, 2013 at 7:32:40 am

Hi Steve,
Good advice, thanks! At least I won't feel like I screwed up the recording :-)

I took a look at a couple of those films, and they are amazing. Thank you for the link.

Cheers,
Geoff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]