FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to make my work better?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Petar Manov
how to make my work better?
on Jul 15, 2013 at 8:49:44 am

Hi guys,

about two years ago I bought the 7D. Since then I can not stop playing with the camera and I can not imagine anything better. At this time i had no clue from all film stuff.

Today I make my Sundays bread with video, which is incredible. But I'm not nearly as far so gut, as some guys here in the "Create a COW forum."

However, I want to be something better and I could use a some feedback. I prefer to work on short films and music videos.

This is a music video that I shot last summer:

with 5DMKII, Canon 50mm f1.4, Olympus Zuiko 28mm f2.8 and Sigma 70-200mm f2.8.
Edit on PP and AE CS6 used only curves and masks
Shot in 7 hours and edit in two weeks, no budget, for a friend of mine

thx for the feedback and greetigs from germany :)

p.s.
sry about my bad englisch, the last time I had to write something in English was in the shcool ... 12 years ago :)))

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: how to make my work better?
on Jul 15, 2013 at 6:09:51 pm

Your filming skills are actually quite good and so I have little to suggest for you in that area.

The one area I would think you could improve on is the "story" used in the music video. It's basically one long dance party scene, nothing very different happens, one girl dances, then another and so on - I only scanned through the last 2/3rds so I might have missed something.

I don't understand the lyrics for the song however I would look for ways to broaden the story and to make it as interesting as the music and the beautiful women...what are they singing about - could that suggest some scenes to film? What happened to the principal characters just BEFORE coming to the dance party and AFTER? Think of it more like a movie with a beginning, middle and end instead of just one scene.

Do the singers also play their own instruments or are they just vocalists? We could have seen some of that.

Even drama DURING the dance party could of have been added? Is one girl jealous of another or is someone dancing with someone they shouldn't? Is everybody great friends there or maybe did someone come to the party that wasn't invited - someone who made trouble or left with someone's elses date? Is someone a show-off dancer making everyone else feel uncomfortable?

Particularly with the techno beat style of music - the lyrics may not be all that interesting so I would suggest creating a story of your own if one isn't already there...other than that you are doing very good work and you should be proud of your filming schools.

Also your English is quite good - my written German is simply bad and I'm half German myself! (Born in Nurnburg, Father was in the Army) Gruß zu Deutschland!

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Petar Manov
on Jul 16, 2013 at 7:43:56 am

"I don't understand the lyrics for the song however I would look for ways to broaden the story and to make it as interesting as the music and the beautiful women...what are they singing about - could that suggest some scenes to film? What happened to the principal characters just BEFORE coming to the dance party and AFTER? Think of it more like a movie with a beginning, middle and end instead of just one scene."

Hey Steve,

interesting that you say that, because that was my first thought when I planned the shooting for the video :) unfortunately i had to stay with the simple version though for various reasons: (

Overall you're right with your criticism, I should incorporate more "story" to the video.

As for the lyrics, hehehe I do not understand themselves too. When I inquired, she said, it's about dancing and party :) So nothing earth shattering :)

Thanks again for your feedback

p.s. and you are a half German hehhe, this world is really small :)

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Jul 19, 2013 at 4:47:02 pm

The English is great. It makes sense.

Perhaps in principle a way to approach a new market, style, genre, might be to spend time looking at as much work in the field as you can, just soaking it all in and trying to "get" what's going on: what do people particularly favour (and why), how broad is the existing spread of work, are there "obligatory" elements that are always or almost always present ...? What filming styles predominate? Settings? Design approaches? Use of colour? Editing speeds and rhythns ..?

Then, assuming it's not a genre you favour as a viewer / user / consumer, perhaps you can find two or three friends or contacts who do like and watch, and get to talk to them about the music videos they like. It could be interesting to find out what they remember.

Looking up awards for music videos (and tracks, even) in the target genre over the last few years will yield a list of work that has been widely seen as successful - a clutch of videos to make sure you have seen and are aware of, as a lot of your target audience will be.

Of course for a low-budget video many things will be not possible. So it might be worth spendinng some time searching for little known bands in the market segment and looking at what they've done, trying to get a "feel " for the market so you understand and react like a fan might ... and see what people have been able to achieve on a low budget ...

Specifics on your video - well I'm not really big on dance music so it's a bit off field for me. So these commments come with caveats, and are intended to be thought-provoking and helpful rather than critical - she's lucky to get a polished-looking video for free. But things that struck me, things that might help work to stand out more, might incude:

The setting, look and feel to me seem more old-style martini ad, lifestyle advertising than contemporary dance, where exotic location and extreme lifestyle - ultra gloss or ultra grunge , but rarely everyday, mundance settings are often chosen. Is a laid-back "lifestyle" group of 20-somethings at a sort-of house party really a good choice of subject ...? Isn't this club music, with all that implies for audience and likely audience self-image, identification, what might appeal ...?

The photography is quite flat - lighting-wise and in choice of lens. Is that good? Not sure that using colour saturation to pick out the singer is doing much for you - is it a little too subtly done ... ? Are these the best shots you can get? The little break-dance scenes risk the feeling of your uncle trying to be cool in this context - is this good ...?

The dancing is very "ordinary" - it's not really showing me anything fun, fresh, striking, anything I haven't seen a lot of, anything I find amusing or hot. Does it risk looking like a group of normal, quite pleasant people at a slightly over-lit, slightly embarrassing party ... does this make the singer look as good, and as cool, as is possible ..?

The pace of editing is quite slow. Very often dance (music) videos seem to burn through imagery very quickly, even if much of it repeats (perhaps with little variations) as the vid progresses ...

Much more importantly, how do you feel about it? Is this the best work you could hope for, or what would you like to have done ...?

Return to posts index

Petar Manov
on Jul 22, 2013 at 11:35:17 am

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your feedback. I'll need some time to analyze this. But everything you write, are somehow things that, I recognize allready by myself but have not wanted to be true :) hehehe overconfidence is unproductive

thx :)

dv4pictures on yt http://www.youtube.com/div4o
dv4pictures on fb http://www.facebook.com/dv4pictures

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Jul 23, 2013 at 8:03:14 pm

It seemed to me that you felt it might have been possible to do better, howsever much you were (very likely) driven along by events, what was practical, what the customer was thinking, what resources and people you had to hand.

And, perhaps not strangely, I sometimes found people on low-to-no budget can be more time-consuming, perhaps more picky, more demanding in wanting to go over every step and every decision for themselves, on your clock. Pf course when yout time is costing them nothing, it can perhaps be easy for tehm then not to value properly the time and resource (of yours) that's being consumed, or to lose sight of the value of that.

I think it's a great sign you're thinking it over and trying to work out how to get better output - I look forward to seeing great stuff of yours before long !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]