FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Mode Problems with Canon 6D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olly sindle
Video Mode Problems with Canon 6D
on Jul 11, 2013 at 12:05:04 am

Hi there,
I've just bought a canon 6D and it seems like everything about it is great, except for some strange behaviour in video mode.
When set to full manual everything is fine, but in AV mode, the aperture is locked at 2.8 and can;t be changed (it will in stills mode). similarly in TV mode, I have no control over the shutter speed.
Is this not possible on the 6D and kind of goes against the reason for their being Av and Tv modes??
I thought the video specs were meant to be identical to the 5D Mk3.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Video Mode Problems with Canon 6D
on Jul 11, 2013 at 2:27:08 pm

According to the manual, if you want full control over the exposure of your camera you have to set the mode dial to M.

Here's the thing though: if you are in movie mode and have NOT set it to M - the manual says (at least how I read it) the camera will operate as though in P mode which means IT is setting the shutter speed and aperture depending upon the brightness in the scene. See the blue area of page 205 where it says:
"In the TV, AV or B shooting modes, the settings will be the same as in the P mode"

Read about P mode on page 142

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

olly sindle
on Jul 12, 2013 at 11:04:52 am

Thanks very much for your response. Does this mean that the video specs aren't quite matched up to the 5d3? I quite often used to shoot on av mode just varying the aperture and the rest would be taken care of. Now it seems that it's either full manual or full auto and nothing in between. I have only just got the camera and so haven't had time for a good play yet but am I right in thinking the P mode is just another auto variation and a little gimmicky? I could be well wrong though. Just very new to it. Thanks for you help.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 12, 2013 at 3:31:33 pm

I always recommend filming in full manual. I have not investigated how this works on a 5D M2 or 3 - are you saying the shutter and aperture priority modes work when shooting video?

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 12, 2013 at 10:14:41 pm

Well I downloaded the 5D MIII manual and on page 221 I found part of the answer and it says that you CAN use the TV mode and set the shutter speed manually for movies and have the camera set the aperture and ISO for you (page 221) and then on the next page it says you can also select the AV aperture priority mode and have the ISO and shutter speed set for you automatically.

That's very cool to know and an option that is not available on my much older Canon T2i and, as we learned earlier, not on the 6D either. 

Unfortunately, it's typical for camera manufacturers to hold back capabilities just so that you buy the more expensive "pro" model - a very frustrating business practice for the consumer, particularly when it is a pure marketing decision meaning the technology is already there for better performance but is somehow disabled (reminds me of the whole camera RAW business where we learned only a firmware change was needed to allow even very old Canon DSLRs to shoot RAW video)

Then we also have the phenomena of camera manufactures releasing new models with hardly any differences with the older model - just to have something new to market, one assumes.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

olly sindle
on Jul 13, 2013 at 12:39:55 am

Thanks for your post. I couldn't agree more. It is frustrating your right. In my case it's not too much of a problem as I would be shooting mainly in manual anyway. It just would've been nice to have the option as I assumed it was all gonna be identical video settings to the 5d. So are there firmware upgrades that will allow a raw video signal out of the hdmi port? Is this an official thing from canon or an unofficial crack? Cheers for you help mate. Olly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]