FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5D frustrations

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wilson
Canon 5D frustrations
on Jul 3, 2013 at 11:52:37 pm

Sorry if you've already seen this on the Canon EOS forum, but I've yet to find anyone with a similar problem - therefor, no solution.

I'm getting ready to return my second 5D Mark lll. I purchased the first just three weeks ago and returned it to the store after noticing subtle vertical noisy streaks in in the picture. Streaks were most evident on pans and in dark areas or in saturated colors, but could be seen faintly when the camera was stationary as well. Stills looked beautiful, but 4:2:2 video straight out of the camera via HDMI or 4:2:0 recorded internally was unacceptable.

My replacement 5D shows the identical problem AND has a very ugly dead pixel that shows up a few minutes after the camera is turned on. I've tried using more expensive glass than the 24-105 kit lens, experimented with every picture profile, checked to see that I'm running the current Canon firmware, etc., etc. Is it just a coincidence that I got two bad cameras in a row? I've seen lots of footage from other people's Mark lls and never thought I was viewing video through gauzy vertical lines. The pixel issue is just the icing on the cake. I can't shoot anything but white people and wardrobe against a white cyc with this thing.

Thanks, in advance, for any thoughts or feedback.

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index

Chris Wilson
Re: Canon 5D frustrations
on Jul 4, 2013 at 8:37:35 pm

Here's a still that shows the streaking seen in my first camera. The replacement 5D produces an identical picture with the addition of the bad pixel. Streaking is more obvious on moving video, but can be seen here in the wall, frame left, and a bit in the dark countertop. A flat picture profile or monitor without very dark blacks makes the problem quite obvious. It's not a recording or codec issue. I can see it direct HDMI out of camera to a 9" field monitor.

Thanks for any insights.

1_5dnoiseteststill.jpg

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jul 5, 2013 at 3:37:55 pm

no still in your post...

Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Wilson
on Jul 5, 2013 at 4:10:48 pm

Sorry, here's the sample image.

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jul 6, 2013 at 12:50:47 am

Frankly, to me this just looks like noise caused by a very underexposed image and also maybe some focus issues. (I think the focus plane is somewhere around the brass door knob on the left but I can't be sure. What was your aperture, ISO and shutter speed for this shot?)

The wall on the left you mentioned basically, to my eye anyways, looks just about the same as the door on the far right - I see the same blue gray "streaks/noise".

Another issue may be the fluorescent lighting in the ceiling, if that's what this room had. Typically what you see are rolling, orange or brown bars on walls and things when fluorescent lighting is messing with your camera but from a still image it's hard to tell.

You say you don't have any problems with brighter lighting and I'm not surprised.

Bottom line, from this image I really don't think (besides the dead pixel issue which isn't uncommon unfortunately) there's anything especially wrong with the mechanics of your camera. That's good news right?

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris Wilson
on Jul 6, 2013 at 6:00:21 am

So you're tellinge the camera is worthless for shooting the real world? I have a hard time believing this. Out of focus, underexposed, it should make no difference. There shouldn't be vertical lines of varying brightness and noise levels in the frame. I can think of a hundred scenarios in which I would have something unfocused foreground or background and some elements obscure and underexposed. This still just happened to be taken when the camera was rolling while someone was playing with it in a dimly lit edit suite. Real world.

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jul 8, 2013 at 10:24:01 pm

I'm not a 5D user, but it looks like the ISO was very high. That image is nothing but noise. You don't mention what the settings were.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Chris Wilson
on Jul 9, 2013 at 3:46:28 am

I was shooting ISO 640 which is a very noise-free multiple of the chip's native ISO.

The Problem seems to have been solved by trading in my second 5d for a third that had a very different serial #. This one is beautiful.

Looks like Canon let a few bad ones pass QC.

Chris Wilson
Moving Pictures

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jul 9, 2013 at 5:34:38 am

[Chris Wilson] "This one is beautiful."

Glad you got something that works!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.