FORUMS: list search recent posts

I want extreme Low depth of field, what is the best lens for that? Shooting on Cannon T3i

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Everett McEwan
I want extreme Low depth of field, what is the best lens for that? Shooting on Cannon T3i
on Jun 29, 2013 at 10:12:47 pm

Hi everyone, I love low depth of field, the more the better! I don't know if you have been watching Deadliest Catch lately but they have been getting some awesome Low Depth of field shots this season and I wish I knew what they were using. I want that same look.
I have a buddy who uses Lens baby variable focus lenses for still, anyone ever used that for video? Is there another lens combo out there that works well? What about pinhole or pancake lenses? Obviously it has to have a big aperture to get the look. Is my camera (T3i) limited by the sensor size?

Thanks for all the advice! Everett

http://storycatchersmedia.com/

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: I want extreme Low depth of field, what is the best lens for that? Shooting on Cannon T3i
on Jun 29, 2013 at 10:48:18 pm

Check out the $99 Canon 50mm 1.8. In bright light you'll probably want to get some ND filters for it. The trick is getting the aperture as low as possible. The lower the ap, the more you'll get that shallow depth look.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Everett McEwan
Re: I want extreme Low depth of field, what is the best lens for that? Shooting on Cannon T3i
on Jun 29, 2013 at 11:12:56 pm

What is funny is I bought that lens just a few days ago since it was described that way, and man was I disappointed! It was only one F stop better than my 18-55 lens and I compared the same shots back to back with it and really saw no improvement in what I wanted (lower Depth of Field). I am actually going to send it back, I felt stupid ordering it without trying it first (show rooming- I know retailers hate that!).
I am looking through my B &H catalog and saw the $1600 50 mm that has an F 1.2 setting and not sure if that would be better, crazy price though!

Thanks for the response! Everett

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 29, 2013 at 11:17:36 pm

Are you sure you had the aperture all the way open? It takes a little playing with it to get that look right. I have the 1.2 L Canon, and while it can certainly get a little bit better results because of the greater aperture, you should be getting great stuff with that 1.8.

Without ND filters, you're going to have to crank up the shutter speed to get that look right. You're going to be in manual mode for this. Were you in manual?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jun 29, 2013 at 11:32:17 pm

For great "shallow depth of field" shots at a relatively low cost, check out the Canon 50mm 1.4 - sells for between $300 and $400. Rent it first or try it out at the store. Make sure your camera is in full manual mode, open up that iris all the way "up" to 1.4, attach a ND filter to your lens to cut down on the light (unless you are already in a low light situation) and I think you will be very happy.

I just calculated with a depth of field calculator hat if you are 2 feet away from your subject with a 50mm 1.4 and your aperture is also set to 1.4 then your depth of field would .3 inches - that's pretty damn shallow if you ask me.

I shot with a T2i and get great results this way.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Everett McEwan
on Jun 29, 2013 at 11:45:46 pm

Guys, thanks for the insights, I will go get the lens out of the packaging and give it a go again. I think I will check my settings for sure. I am using Magic Lantern and can tweak some things.
But I still wonder about shooting video with the Lens baby, I am supposed to get together with my buddy and try it out. Anyone else shot video with any of Lens Baby lenses?

Everett

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jun 30, 2013 at 12:29:19 am

keep in mind, that you are actually looking for a .95 lens because the t3i has a horrible 1.6 crop factor! .95x1.6=1.52.
You can't skimp on the ND filter or your picture will get very soft.
Also, cheap lens don't have enough blades so the transition is harsh and
ugly. The more blades, the prettier the softness.

Unfortunately, coupling .95 with many blades, low chromatic aberration, ir coating, professional nd's, will run you into the thousands. That's the price you pay for cineramic quality.

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Jul 2, 2013 at 6:01:47 pm

Something to consider is the distance to the subject.

At 2ft you'll get crazy bokeh and super shallow DOF. But if you're shooting two guys dumping a big ol' crab trap on the floor(never watched Deadliest Catcha, sorry) you're going to be too far away for significant bokeh.

The farther from the camera the subject is, the longer your lens will need to be to get the cool DOF. Then, of course, you'll need to get further from the subject with the long lens.

Alternatively, the background has to be really far away from the subject.

If you want shallow DOF with 50mm, you really couldn't get any more than a tight head and shoulders shot of a person, and the BG would have to be at least 30ft away. If you wanted to get a shot of two people talking with DOF, you'd need something like a 300mm f/4, you'd have to be about 30ft away with the background 50 to 100ft away.

All this is very affordable and doable, of course. I was shooting stills this weekend with a Nikon D300 and a cheap 70-300 f/3.5-5.6 lens and getting decent isolation with the lens zoomed out to about 400 (with the 1.5x crop factor). It's not crazy DOF effect, but it was what I needed to direct the viewer.

One suggestion about the Lensbaby... They're lots of fun, but I haven't had great luck with video. They're very, very sensitive to movement, and you must have the micro-adjustable one with the little threaded rods. Also, they don't have high quality optics. I have two and enjoy them tremendously, but it's a special effect lens. I don't think you could shoot a whole anything with them though.

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
Photographer/Videographer | Marketing
22833 SE Black Nugget Road | Issaquah, WA 98029
206.727.5501 x5237
http://www.sanmar.com

Return to posts index

Everett McEwan
on Aug 9, 2013 at 4:02:56 pm

Wanted to update everyone about this since I first posted, I was an idiot about the 50mm, I had to go into my settings on ML and open up the aperture, I feel silly but always want to own up to my mistakes. I have shot a few projects with it and had much improved results over my standard lens. I just finished this video;

http://storycatchersmedia.com/nonprofitvideos/e6944988d

and there are a few shots it was handy for, used it on this interview and a few other shots;

You can see it really knocked down the depth of field which is what I was after. I shot in a hospital the other day, which is why I need it also- hide faces of patients (Hippa law) and it was awesome. Really worked well in the dark hallways outside patient rooms, just what I was after- more light and lower DOF.

Any other lenses you guys would recommend? I would love a wider focal length lens like a wide eye/fish eye that can do that. I have wondered about "macro lenses" for example, stuff meant for close up shots but I could use in the hospitals I work in a lot for example.

Thanks for the advice and sorry I goofed on using the lens, learning new things is what life is about!

Everett McEwan

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Aug 9, 2013 at 4:17:22 pm

You shouldn't have to use magic lantern at all for the shallows dof- just set your camera to full manual control for video and adjust your aperture to 1.4, 1.8 or thereabouts. So any fast wide angle lens that can open up to those same apertures will also get you shallow dof

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Everett McEwan
on Aug 9, 2013 at 4:51:19 pm

Yes I can do it that way too, I just use ML since it's easier I find than stoping and going to the menus. I have a fish eye that does open up manually (Opeteka brand) but I find it gets almost "hazy" at wide open (not sure why) so I keep it closed down most of the time.

Everett

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]