FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advise me on a new camera

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aroonz arunpg
Advise me on a new camera
on Jun 24, 2013 at 6:42:37 am

hi guys.

i basically work for a construction site. i am entrusted to work on a documentary which involves aerial shoots as well.

I currently have canon 1dx and canon 5d mark II. i am looking for a camera which would be close to the image/ quality of these cameras as i don't want to spend my time on matching the footage.

i would like to get something which shoots with less moire (it is distracting as the site has lots of metal),
and less aliasing comparing my 5d mark II .

Any suggestions, PRO ?

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

charles meadows
Re: Advise me on a new camera
on Jun 24, 2013 at 4:46:10 pm

Canon 5D markIII or the Sony NEX FS100 / 700 (and tweak the colour settings). Reckon the new 5D III will be your best option.

"There's no point in filming if you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa
http://www.incubatevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

aroonz arunpg
on Jun 25, 2013 at 4:44:03 pm

Thanks Charles for the reply.

I have seen videos of 5d mark III on youtube. It seems that even mark III has the same issue.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jun 25, 2013 at 2:41:17 pm

Aaron,
What are you hoping to achieve by adding a third camera to your setup? What needs are not being met by the 1DX and 5DII?

That will help us give you better advice?

John

John Young
Surrounding Media
Follow on Twitter

Return to posts index

aroonz arunpg
on Jun 25, 2013 at 4:42:13 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

The construction site is really big. we are looking for an another cam to cover events at site. I already have 2 good cameras. To cover an event, we would obviously need atleast 4.
Since my company has allocated the budget to buy couple more, i thought i would go with a camera with less moire and artifacts.
I can use those cameras to shoot the documentary :)

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jun 25, 2013 at 5:32:13 pm

[aroonz arunpg] "i thought i would go with a camera with less moire and artifacts. "

The easy answer to this is a Canon 5D MarkIII. If you want a camera with the exact same capabilities you already have just with better moire and aliasing performance the MIII is what you want.

I do a lot video of construction sites. I would wonder how often you would need 4 cameras, all shooting simultaneously. The only thing I could think of was a Grand Opening or Breaking Ground ceremony, or some big event like that. It might be a better financial decision to hire out those services only for the times when you need 4 cameras, and spend the extra money on extra capabilities. (timelapse, high quality audio equip, lenses, ect).

You know what your shoot will entail better than anyone, but having done a lot of construction video, those are some of my thoughts.

Good luck,
John

John Young
Surrounding Media
Follow on Twitter

Return to posts index

aroonz arunpg
on Jun 25, 2013 at 8:14:19 pm

Thanks John for the honest reply.

We have several units being built and we would have at least 5 events annually.
moreover, i have issues in renting equipment as i have security clearance issues. its a nuclear plant..

you mean to say 5d mark III has less moire comparing mark II ?

Return to posts index

John Young
on Jun 27, 2013 at 2:30:50 pm

I don't know from experience. I do not work regularly with either the II or the III, but smart people that I pay attention to have commented how much better the 5dIII is at moire and aliasing (the moire is by some accounts much much much better).

Look into the C100 as well. Same Canon imaging technology but with a great form factor and usability.

John

John Young
Surrounding Media
Follow on Twitter

Return to posts index

aroonz arunpg
on Jun 28, 2013 at 3:00:48 pm

Thanks John for your reply

i will look into C100 as well.

Will wait for more other experts to comment on it, before i take a final decision.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Jun 29, 2013 at 10:05:07 am

Hi aroonz, if your budget allows, you should get the C100 (marked down to $5499 at Adorama and at BigValue via eBay). You already have lenses for it, and it will definitely solve your moire issue.

The 5D Mark III has very little moire, but it is "soft" straight out of the camera. This can be fixed in post, or with the RAW hack, but you may not have time for that.

Here is a pretty good side-by-side comparison between the two cameras:

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your project!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]