FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupt .mov files from 5dii - odd problems :(

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Marasovic
Corrupt .mov files from 5dii - odd problems :(
on May 30, 2013 at 6:05:36 pm

Hi guys

We were shooting this weekend from 2 5dii's and backing up to a Macbook.

One of the cards copied strangely - the media was there but QT couldnt open them...

Ive tried a couple of .mov repair solutions (treasured, gs) and both say that some of the files are repairable but when I run the repairs and open the recovered files, the content is from earlier in the day, from another card?? - i.e. the file from 4pm is corrupt, so i run a repair and it shows footage from 12.40 - from a different card, with different file names, different create dates and sizes...

Im lost!!

Any advice much appreciated,

J

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Corrupt .mov files from 5dii - odd problems :(
on May 31, 2013 at 4:21:20 am

Do the cards play back okay while still in the camera? If the card's "directory" is corrupted then I am not surprised you are seeing messed up data too. Besides trying different recovery programs I don't know what to suggest - you may just be out of luck but I often hear stories of people recovering at least SOME of their data off corrupted cards.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Jessica Marasovic
on Jun 1, 2013 at 5:52:27 pm

thanks for your quick reply steve.

to be honest we were really pressed that day and didnt discover the error till after the card had been erased :/ - and weve used the same card since with no apparent problems :s

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jun 1, 2013 at 7:55:01 pm

Oh that's too bad, it's for exactly this reason that I never format a card unless the project is basically over, but I have about 10 16GB SD HC cards to work with - so as I fill up a card, I copy over the complete content of that card (including the directory structure) to two different hard drives and then put the SD card away until I am 100 percent sure I won't need it again. Well, don't feel too bad - this is how we all learn.

If we assume that your cards were actually functioning properly then the error must have occurred while the data was being copied over your computer. To be honest I've never seen a copy error happen unless like the computer rebooted, went into sleep mode, lost power or something equally strange happened right in the middle of the process.

I have heard of files getting corrupted if the camera lost power while filming or if the card was allowed to fill up to the point where no more data could be written to it by the camera - both events would cause the file not to be "closed" properly. Even in those cases, it should still be possible to recover at least some of the files with the kind of software you've been using.

I really hope you are eventually able to recover your files, I am sorry I have nothing to offer you other than sympathy! :-)

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

Jessica Marasovic
on Jun 1, 2013 at 8:37:10 pm

Thanks for all that steve, v informative....

im beginning to think it may be a faulty usb cable on the card reader - tho I still dont understand why the "recoverable files" are from earlier in the day - not the ones shot at that time... :s

thanks again for ur time.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jun 1, 2013 at 10:53:02 pm

When you "delete" a file off a storage card (or a hard drive for that matter) all you are really doing is "marking it for deletion" - in other words telling the card that the space is available to be written over and used again...until that physically happens, the data is actually still there and can be recovered by "unmarking it" - so I am thinking what you are seeing are deleted files that remained on the card and haven't yet been written over

It's not clear to me if you actually completed the entire recovery process or if you were only looking at a preview of the recovery. It MAY turn out that if you actually completed the recovery you would find the video you expect but because the card's "table of content" got messed up the preview was from early in the day.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

Jessica Marasovic
on Jun 2, 2013 at 12:32:29 pm

thanks Steve

I had held a forlorn hope that that might be the case - but the actual footage itself - not just the previews -was from earlier in the day - tho the clip duration, names etc didnt match - its almost as if the data was simply renamed in different segments, but no new tracks were written...

no quite sure what the lesson is here :s tho' new a 5d iii with 2 card slots might be handy :)

thanks again for your help & advice

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jun 2, 2013 at 8:40:13 pm

No worries Jessica, all the best to you

Steve

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

David Parkar
on Aug 12, 2013 at 5:16:44 pm

May be header file of that footage got corrupted. Don’t worry Nowadays numerous MOV repair tools are available on the internet. I used one utility “Remo MOV repair tool” and this user-friendly software repaired my MOV file in just a few clicks. You can also try it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]