FORUMS: list search recent posts

So I just bought a t4i....

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirk Lauterbach
So I just bought a t4i....
on May 27, 2013 at 8:30:07 pm

To go along with my t2i. I have been using it to shoot videos outdoors. I have started editing a project using footage from both cameras and noticed a pretty noticable difference in the sharpness and vibrance of colors between the two(the t2i being much sharper and colorful).I have ML on t2i and didnt know if this had anything to do with the difference in the video. They are both set to "faithful", both are shooting at the same fps, usually the same ISO, so the only real difference is the F-stop. (Also, the lens on the t2i is not as nice as the one on the t4i). Is this just what happens when shooting with two different cameras or is there some setting in the camera that Im not looking at?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: So I just bought a t4i....
on May 27, 2013 at 8:43:32 pm

Of course there's a big difference- two generations of signal processing (ignoring the fact for a moment that different lenses look very different) and chip development. I'd be pretty disappointed if the T4i didn't look different from the T2i- otherwise just but a used T2i for way cheaper. So if you need these two cameras to closely match- you need to sit both of them down connected to broadcast monitors and waveform/vectorscope with test charts and adjust them carefully to match.

Noah

Call Box Training.
Featuring the Panasonic GH2 and Panasonic AC160/130.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on May 27, 2013 at 11:16:23 pm

I see where you are going but the poster describes the OLDER camera as both sharper and more colorful - not what I would expect. While both cameras may have been set to Faithful, it is still possible that the color saturation and sharpness settings have been modified for the Faithful profile in one of the cameras.

There is also the lens issue but I just have a feeling it has more to do with a camera setting difference. Or did the poster simply make an error in describing which camera looked better?

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on May 28, 2013 at 7:08:57 pm

Set check, dry run, scopes and so on.

These are the engineer's task but on a small scale shoot, fall back onto the director as operator.

I learned that the hard way myself, between 2)D7000s, 1) MK2 and 1)T2i each with a different lens.

The color differences between the four sets of footage, because we did not have a lighting dry run was a challenge in post. The two Canons leaned very much to red, the Nikons less so.

Had I to do it over again, I would have demanded (politely) the house bring the room to show lights, in three or four variations, run clips for each camera then taken the clips backstage to Premiere and examined them for exposure, highlights, and so on.

We (four operators, I was on a D3S for stills) had compared the variants, and made educated (see: experience) guesses as to f/stops, and neutral settings but it was obvious, our eyes had lied.

Just my .02 cents.

Rob Manning

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 28, 2013 at 7:08:17 pm

You've answered your own question. You have a different lens, maybe a lens protective glass? All of this changes the look. It's all about the lens baby!

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Kirk Lauterbach
on May 28, 2013 at 8:30:37 pm

I've already tried switching lenses on the cameras. The t2i still looks much better.

So lets say I set the cameras up in the same lighting, and took some video of the same shot using same fps, same iso, and same f-stop. Then I take this footage and open it up in Sony Vegas to compare.

Using what I noticed in SV would I then want to go back to the cameras and adjust the scene settings(maybe to a custom one) and adjust sharpness, saturation, ect. on one camera(t4i) then repeat the recording step?

Then repeat this step until the footage looks satisfactory?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]