FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Shift Technique

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marius Viken
Camera Shift Technique
on May 27, 2013 at 7:12:16 pm

Is there anyone out there who knows how to pull of the camera shift technique? I really want to nail it, but I'm kinda stuck. I'm thiking on this technique used here

I kinda nailed it yesterday, but forgot to note how I set the cameras.. Stupid, right?..

(my try)

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Camera Shift Technique
on May 27, 2013 at 8:26:38 pm

We here in the US can't watch the top example video you posted because the person who posted it didn't allow viewing outside his or her country.

I think if I were to recreate this look however I would rely on shooting the scene twice with a locked off camera (one that doesn't move) In the first one, I wouldn't be in it, just the hallway - I could either shake the camera or keep it steady and add a shaking motion in post which is probably the better way to go.

Then I'd film a second clip, keeping all the camera settings the same, and film myself simply walking forward and backwards in the hallway with the camera steady of course. From there it should be just a simple matter of applying a mask to the second clip to place myself in the hallway but at the same time isolating my movement from the shaking going on in the first clip.

That's the basic approach I'd try taking anyways.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on May 27, 2013 at 11:50:58 pm

Hmm, I just noticed that your shadow is moving as you walk down the hallway - so either the mask was large enough so that it included the shadow area or you used a different technique - I'm going with option two - you did something different.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Marius Viken
on May 28, 2013 at 12:13:10 pm

I've tried a billion different things and been spending something around 18 hours nailing it to that point. I've used 2 5D mark III cameras with two canon 24-70mm f/2.8 and positioned one camera body in line with where the lens is attached on the other camera body. Then I've centered my subject on the left camera, and then on the other. But because the right one is a little more towards my subject I've been forced to reframe in order to get the same frame with the same position. Because of the reframing the vignett is different. If I set my camera in a different position you'll get a much more crazy moving background, making 95% of the viewers I've showed the test clips to, seasic. Also there's not that much moving on the original.

Try this link. If it doesn't work just go to youtube and search for Bring me the Horizon - Shadow Moses. The guys who've made it have several different videoes using this technique. They've specialized in it, and apparantly they are the only ones in the world doing it..

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on May 28, 2013 at 4:21:33 pm

This is the Wiggle 3D effect, which is a cool effect. The best work I've seen for Wiggle 3D is this music video...

Mint Julep : To The Sea

Where I think they used the slow motion Twixtor software to blend the two images into one time line.

- Guy

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Jun 10, 2013 at 3:37:14 pm

While it's a cool effect for a couple of shots, it becomes unbearably boring and jarring to the eye when used for the entire video.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]