FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a DSLR to "live stream"?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Vincent
Using a DSLR to "live stream"?
on May 10, 2013 at 1:10:43 am

Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem right now. I need to set up a camera to film an event and display it on a projector at an event, live.

I need to film people walking down the red carpet, and it shows up on a big screen, live from my camera.

I'm going to be using a Canon Rebel t3i, probably with a telephoto lens

My problem is I don't know what's the best way to go about this!

If I use the composite cables that come with the camera, and plug it straight into the projector, then set the camera to video mode, the image looks terrible, plus the ISO, shutter information, etc. show up on screen as well. I'm not sure if this is the case with the mini HDMI output, but I would assume so.

I hooked up my camera to my laptop via USB, then opened the EOS utility software and set it to the live view shooting mode. I can use that then use screen capture software to send it to the projector with a VGA cable. The only problem is that I don't know how to get the white rectangle out of the way! That rectangle shows what portion of the image it will zoom into when you use the zoom button

How do I get rid of the rectangle? I couldn't find out how in the manual...maybe I skipped over something
But I know it's possible because of this video

That doesn't seem like a good way of live streaming from the camera, but it's the only thing I think will work, unless there is software that can take the video feed from the camera and output it on an external monitor/projector? If there is, please let me know about it!

Any help that gets this working is appreciated, thank you!

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Using a DSLR to "live stream"?
on May 10, 2013 at 3:04:52 pm

I'm not sure on the t3i. If you have a standard video camera, it would make life easier for this type of setup. You need to find the display settings in camera.

You can also get a cheap switcher at radio shack if needed that will allow you to plug in 2 cameras and manually switch between cameras. The switcher will be plugged into the projector.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

jacob liebenberg
Re: Using a DSLR to "live stream"?
on Oct 29, 2015 at 1:17:18 pm

Hi there,
I realise this is a very late response but for anyone else trying to use a canon dslr for live streaming this will be useful. It can be done, don't worry.
First of all make sure the latest version of magic lantern is installed on your camera.
Then using the 'info' button in video live view mode remove all the details (like the shutter speed info, aperture etc).
Then on magic lantern find the settings tab with Global Draw. Turn global draw on and set it to 'QuickReview'.
Also find the 'movie crop mode' setting and turn it to OFF. (This may not be a necessity on some cameras.)
Then back on the video live view screen half hold the shutter button and all the crop elements have vanished.

***side note***If you want to change aperture and shutter speed while like this just remember the first time they change the notification will pop up however from then on it will not. ISO however is risky changing like this so I would set the ISO before live streaming or broadcasting.

*I apologise if this does not work on your camera. I have tested it out on a canon rebel t5i and it works*

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]