FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon DSLR video, H4N, Sescom LN2MIC-ZMH4, Sennheiser G2 - Setup

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Giardina
Canon DSLR video, H4N, Sescom LN2MIC-ZMH4, Sennheiser G2 - Setup
on May 2, 2013 at 12:59:14 am

Hi Everyone...

I'm trying to improve my audio recording. I have the Sescom interface with the headphone jack. The one with the 25db pad. I'm recording 4 channels, running my G2 into one of the XLRs, and the build in mics on the H4N. I've tried a number of settings and I'm getting mixed results. If anyone has their workflow and settings mapped out I'd appreciate it... or know of a good tutorial.

Thanks!!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Canon DSLR video, H4N, Sescom LN2MIC-ZMH4, Sennheiser G2 - Setup
on May 2, 2013 at 6:54:33 pm

My thinking is that unless you are in a studio where you only need to make minor adjustments, you will usually need to get the gear running, do several sound checks and make lots of adjustments so your sound engineer (yeah, that's usually you again) can use the audio. Sounds like you have everything you need to make the right audio work fine (your setup isn't much different than mine).

What are the specific issues you are actually having? That will make it easier to answer the question.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on May 2, 2013 at 7:05:39 pm

Hi Jonathan...

No specific issues. I have it setup OK, but there's much to consider. AF out and sensitivity on the LAV, manual MIC vol on the DSLR, Stereo setup on the H4n... and the line out volume, as well as the MIC vol setting for the LAV on the H4n.

If someone had settings established I could compare and tweak possibly :)

Best Regards!!!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on May 2, 2013 at 11:16:12 pm

Well, I'd love it if there was just one way to do it, but there really isn't. I set my gear where I set it cuz that's where I like it and I make adjustments on the fly for every situation. You have to adjust to a balance between what you hear, the equipment you are using and how you like to edit your audio in post. Everyone is different so you just gotta experiment and then when people ask you the same question, you can answer back with this is how I do it...

I guess I'm saying you need to wing it - or hear well enough to get the recording you want, eliminate the stuff you don't want, and be able to make due when it doesn't work out the way you want.

Try posting to the audio boards or the board for your audio gear, too. The DSLR boards are more about the cameras and you might have better luck on a more audiophile-oriented board. Be wary of anyone who tells you there is only 1 way to do anything. Good luck!

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]