FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why shouldn't I buy a Nikon D7000?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Smith
Why shouldn't I buy a Nikon D7000?
on Apr 23, 2013 at 1:42:33 am

Hi everyone,

Spent the past two weeks doing an awful lot of research online in terms of buying a good camera for video and photos for my specific situation. It's probably easier if I just lay out what I need and where I'm at point by point:

1. I'm a freelance music journalist and am looking to get into nightclub photography and video. I've some experience of filming with DSLRs as well as filiming/shooting in clubs, and working alongside the pros, but haven't been able to afford my own DSLR until now.

2. In short, I need a camera that will perform well in low-light with fast lenses to match. However, I'll also be filming/shooting in various situations, right up to the blazing midday sun in Ibiza this summer.

3. I was set on a GH2, mainly due to the fact it can be hacked, but I presume as a result of the hacks, they seem to be rare and expensive second hand. I also don't trust 2nd hand with something like a camera and especially lenses, well not when I can only find them on ebay anyway.

4. I'm now pretty much set on a D7000. I can get the body and some decent enough glass for around £750, which when you add a few decent SDXC memory cards is pretty much hitting my budget.

5. I still don't know what lenses to go for. I'm thinking one of Digital Rev's bundles. The 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G and the 50mm f/1.8 D. Yeah, not amazing, but enough to get me started.

6. From there on in, I'm looking to invest in a good hand-held Steadicam system, and more lenses. I'm very much a believer in lens over body, despite the budget constrained choices above.

So, what I'm looking for is advice, arguments, abuse, whatever. Have I got it all wrong? Is there anything I should consider instead? I'm pretty new to all this, but very determined. I don't want to waste money, but I'm willing to invest money into decent gear.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Why shouldn't I buy a Nikon D7000?
on Apr 23, 2013 at 3:04:39 am

I know this post is going to be popular but here goes.

Ok, I don't know the D7000 from Adam and I'm not saying that Nikon doesn't make some impressive still photography cameras but when it comes to specifically video, they haven't necessarily been in the forefront.

Canon seems much more committed to the HD DSLR future and even they have been very slow and taking baby steps in order to protect their product line which is infuriating. Still, I try and stay with the leading brand in a category just because I know that I can always find plenty of support online - frankly I think there a lot more pro shooters using Canons to film HD DSLR video than Nikon and so many more people to get very specific advice from.

Sure, sometimes a small player comes around and really shows the big boys up and in those situations, it can be worth the move if the smaller company is reliable and providing performance and/or pricing that the majors can't match. (I think the Mac fits into this category) That's why I haven't been very interested yet in Panasonic or Sony and feel more comfortable sticking with Canon line (for now).

Something like the Canon T4i is a bit cheaper than the Nikon you mentioned allowing you to invest in better glass which is, arguably, more important than the body. Does the D7000 do 60fps for slow motion video? I believe the T4i has higher ISO too which would be great in a dark nightclub environment. Regarding the kit zoom lens you mentioned, I wouldn't bother with it. Invest in a nice, fast 50mm and save the rest for audio gear, a monopod, ND filters and the tons of other gear you are going to need that you didn't mention.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on Apr 23, 2013 at 1:34:27 pm

Thanks for the advice, it all makes sense. The t4i seems to be going more into the consumer range, but good points raised. I've seen footage which makes me more than confident the D7000 will work in low-light.

Good point on the lens too. I am looking to invest in things like filters and something like a Zoom H4N and a decent mic for audio.

Return to posts index

charles meadows
on May 9, 2013 at 7:06:30 pm

Hey Steve agree with most of what you have to say but must point out that Nikon D800's video seriously kicks the ass of the Canon 5D III, just my opinionated (but unquestionable) opinion. Though you're right on all the other points. Mike, if you want a camera for low light then you need the the new Canon 5D III, the Nikon is great until you hit the 3000 iso and above and then it all gets a little snowy. Main thing though is that all the other smaller semi pro cameras really won't give you good low light results.

"There's no point in filming if you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa
http://www.incubatevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Apr 23, 2013 at 1:50:41 pm

Considering your budget I would recommend you take a look at the new Nikon 5200 camera, which is a big improvement over Nikon's older DSLRs when shooting video.

Nikon D5200 Review

I would generally recommend avoiding most of the low cost Canon DSLRs when it comes to video, as Canon hasn't really updated the video hardware of their T2i/T3i/T4i/T5i line of cameras in several years.

New Canon T5i/700D Fail to Excite

Even Canon's $3000 5D Mk3 barely outperforms the $700 Nikon D5200 when it comes to video...

Nikon D5200 vs Canon 5D Mark III

You also might look at the new Panasonic GH3, which is generally considered to be one of the best DSLR cameras for video (sells for $1,300), and can use almost any lens ever made. ( Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Cine PL lenses, etc... )

Panasonic GH3 Review

Return to posts index

Mike Smith
on May 6, 2013 at 3:09:32 am

Thanks to this great advice, I looked into the D5200. After a lot of research, I bought one and must say it is amazing.

Various issues with transcoding the files (for another thread) but that's down to my computer, not the camera.

Got it with a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens and the footage is astounding. Nevermind a rival for the 5D (which it is), this is a rival for cameras which cost tens of thousands.

Thank you to those who responded here for helping me make what, for me, is a big investment. Got a slightly damaged kit lens with it, but that's in another thread.

Return to posts index

Shane Coleman
on May 2, 2013 at 5:29:00 pm

Not sure that the GH2 is exactly rare or expensive right now. Plenty of people upgrading to the GH3 are selling their GH2s. It remains a great camera and probably still the best bang for buck in terms of video quality - hacked or not. Have a look around the various video/photo forums for a good deal if you want to avoid eBay.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 6, 2013 at 6:53:10 pm

I'm not familiar with the D7000. I shoot video exclusively. Both Nikon and Canon are amazing still cameras. Canon has everyone else trying to catch up on the video portion of these cameras.

On the canon side. You can use the t4i, 60D, 7D, 5D Mk III.

They get more costly and better quality as you go. The lenses are probably the most important, since they are what you can use forever. The camera technology will change from year to year.

I use canon "L-Series" lenses. Which will cost you more, but give you a great look with the glass they use. I'd recommend starting with a 24-70 mm 2.8 L - Series lens. This will cover most of your shooting. Then as money comes in, add more lenses.

The 5D Mk III will give you the best quality and audio controls with just about 30 minutes of recording time....until you have to press record to start again.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>