FORUMS: list search recent posts

experts for youtube & vimeo!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sally Keller
experts for youtube & vimeo!
on Apr 18, 2013 at 6:48:04 am

I want to thank CreativeC for the serious professionals that are part of this community Ive always googled problems and most often found this was the best environment to get good information, I decided to join today, not sure why I havn't till now :)

Ive already spent some time looking over previous questions around export settings but am still not happy with my results in both youtube and vimeo.

Im shooting very low light with a 60D and love the edit in adobe but after the trans online the quality is OK but not a sharp as my original in the timeline.

Shot at 1080p 24fps which i use again directly in export now up at a bitrate of 15 which has helped, I have alot of movement. Square pixels etc but I dont have enough knowledge beyond this to fine tune...

THANKS FOR LOOKING

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
Re: experts for youtube & vimeo!
on Apr 19, 2013 at 7:51:37 am

Hi Sally,

The typical upload will re-compress regardless.

Rule of thumb and referring to Richard Harrington's and coauthor's seminal book From Still to Motion, page 285, in chapter 18, about output, a blub on the bottom says:

"Start High, Finish Low". Using a high-quality compression scheme for your master file ensures better-looking and cleaner outputs for the web. When compressing a file, if you start with a high-quality master file, you'll have less quality loss in the final file than if you started with a heavily compressed file."

Now that covers a lot of ground and my method may not be appropriate for everyone else but, I'm converting projects that matter to CineForm, (Competes with ProRes and DNxHD) upon ingest, and last week, I did the reverse from the h.264 files in the edited timelines to create the master file before recoding for the settings in AME for various destinations in the drop down, Apple TV, MP2DVD, Vimeo HD etc.

In a sense if the clip is 15 minutes long, and about 1GB initially as .mov H.264 from the D800, recoding it will make the files three or four times as large.

Doing it on the front end, allows latitude in post and I use I frames only, is what my edit pals always tell me to use.

One can convert output to CineForm, Apple Compressor etc. although it as a menu items might be because I bought the software, so I'm not sure it shows up as an option otherwise.

The other aspect, is file size limitations for servers used for YT etc.

Lower compression schemes, which reduce the files a lot, still will benefit from having started high and ending low. Of these h.264 is generally the best method, with various render choices for keeping acuity but with manageable files for up and down load.

Perhaps invest in that book, it's a great tool for covering all aspects of a shoot, soup to nuts with various content on a DVD tutorial plus, chapter 18 grinds out the basic software tools one needs to burn content, and or upload.

Others may have additional suggestions.

HTHs

Rob Manning

Return to posts index

Sally Keller
on Apr 19, 2013 at 11:40:16 am

Thanks Rob I think your experience is about 4 floors above me, I'm not at that stage yet, Im just experimenting with premiere pro export features with DSL footage.

You did provoke another observation though, because I have great and average results in the same sequence after a render I got the feeling some of my org footage was already on the borderline of pixelated because of the low light. After zoooming in on these sections it is very noisey which exaggerates after compression.

Looks like im on the cusp of compression sensitivity. Hard to solve this

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Apr 20, 2013 at 2:39:23 am

Sally Hi,

Nope, same floor different department.

If the less resolute footage is at issue, you can creatively use another still, or a frame grab of the higher resolution as a still, or series of stills, going from B & W to some other shade, blurred etc. as a backdrop layer.

Or borrow the better footage without sound and blur that, called a comp (unlink the audio to use repetitive footage in more than one place) and insert the poor footage screen in screen.

Use the effects tab to reduce the size, make the poorly resolved clips smaller so that is looks better, then have it fade to zero, into the next clip of good footage, just about anything.

If it is repetitive (different takes) position it to go from left to right, dissolve slowly, turn from red to gold, back to as shot etc. eating up the time it plays over your newly created backdrop layer, or play over a comp so that the motion or effect creates an artistic distraction.

I'm sure you will come up with something.

Rob

Return to posts index

Sally Keller
on Apr 20, 2013 at 2:50:25 am

What would be really nice is keyframing bitrates in the one sequence so say for 4secs of a 2min short film you could pump it right up to org spec.

Have you had better results with youube or vimeo?

All the pro guys seem to use vimeo but its so much slower to upload!

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Apr 20, 2013 at 8:44:49 pm

Hi Sally,

I use Smug Mug pro, and generally do not post to YT or V, yet.

SMP allows file sizes up to 3GB and or 20 minutes per clip and these can be chosen by the viewer to be in five different resolutions if accessed from the outside.

As follows: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/84563-video-details-and-sp...

I believe that Vimeo, allows large file sizes as well, and am budgeting for that transition because my SMP account is more like a place holder portfolio because I'm not adroit at writing html5 and the look is, somewhat pedestrian for my taste.

Yes, my pro friends do use Vimeo.

Sounds as if you have a bead on the fix.

Have fun!

Rob

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on May 2, 2013 at 2:45:52 pm

60D in low light will be noisy. I also have a 60D. I try to keep my ISO below 1600.

I use the transcode setting as stated on Vimeo and haven't had a problem with quality. They even let you upload 1080p if you desire.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

charles meadows
on May 9, 2013 at 7:17:43 pm

Once you start going past an ISO of 2500 is going to start looking crappy and the higher the ISO the crappier it will look. Try using a faster lens, 2.8, 1.8 etc...

"There's no point in filming if you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa
http://www.incubatevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]