FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lens suggestions?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JonRoss Maddox
Lens suggestions?
on Apr 16, 2013 at 5:22:17 am

I am using a cannon rebel T4i and have the basic kit lens. I definitely need something that has a fast auto focus that will stay on it's target. I make many skate videos and also make music videos for my band. What kind of lens would work best?

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Lens suggestions?
on Apr 16, 2013 at 12:25:00 pm

I would look at the Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, which is expensive but probably the fastest. If it's over budget, you could look at the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC. Depending on your location you might also need a telephoto zoom.

Here are my thoughts: Which lens to get? Hope it helps.

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to Reds to the Arri Alexa.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:00:35 pm

I have the Canon 17-55 lens and it is solid. Low light is good with a 2.8 throughout the focal range. I use it a lot. With that being said, it is pretty expensive for a S-Series lens. If I had to do the purchase over again, I would go with the 16-35 L series (on a cropped sensor would be ~26-56).

If you can get away with not having a zoom lens, I also highly recommend getting used Nikon Nikkor primes. The Nikkor's that I paid $150-250 are better and sharper than the Canon 17-55 I paid $1,300 for.

[JonRoss Maddox] "something that has a fast auto focus that will stay on it's target"

Here is the thing about auto focus, its a great feature that in most cases should never be used. Especially in your case where there will be a lot of movement, the camera just has a hard time knowing what the 'target' is that it should be focusing on.
Those of us that have shot on traditional video cameras with auto-focus features know that in almost all situations, that feature is turned off.

John

John Young
Surrounding Media
Follow on Twitter

Return to posts index

JonRoss Maddox
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:22:20 pm

Well on some shots I am going 20-27 MPH on a longboard. So it's kind of hard to manual focus on something when not falling is my priority. I use manual focus whenever I can

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]