FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best mic setup for a relatively low price for Canon t2i DSLR?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Andrade
Best mic setup for a relatively low price for Canon t2i DSLR?
on Mar 29, 2013 at 2:02:11 pm

So here's what I've determined. Please tell me if I am off.

1. Rode video mic is a great shotgun mic that mounts to the camera, but with the preamp on the t2i - there is noise. The only real workaround is to install Magic Lantern, which may be dicey.

2. The H1 Zoom is another great option, but it isnt a shotgun mic. However, it is a recorder which can be synced in post later.

3. I have also heard that it may be best to hook up the Zoom H1 and actually purchase ANOTHER mic to connect to the Zoom H1 for the best sound, again because the Canon t2i may cause audio noise/hiss. Such as a shotgun mic connected to the H1, mounted to the hot shoe.

4. Long story short, I would like to film my son in some short skits around our town, and sometimes I might be "flying solo". Would the best bet be to purchase some time of lavalier mic set up?

I'd like to keep each individual item right around $100 each (100 for the zoom h1 if needed, $100 for...). Believe me, I know cheap doesnt necessarilly exist with quality, but then again, I'm not exactly Hollywood material at this point :)

Thoughts? Suggestion?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Best mic setup for a relatively low price for Canon t2i DSLR?
on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:02:38 pm

The zoom will record the good(better) audio in this case.
Let the camera record scratch audio for sync.
Get the best mic you can afford and run it into the zoom.
Sync the cam footage and the zoom audio in post.

Chris

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Mar 29, 2013 at 3:35:53 pm

Great advice from Chris! Also go ahead and give Magic Lantern a shot if you already have the Rode VideoMic...it won't hurt anything.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Dave Andrade
on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:38:23 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input. Chris ...that sounds like the way to go. As far as magic latern...it just installs on the SD card right? So if something goes sideways and the cam acts funny...format the card....let the Canon boot up with its own internal system bios...right?

Return to posts index

Jordan Westhoff
on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:54:10 pm

That is correct (in response to your magic lantern install question)

Just make sure to remember, when in doubt, remove the battery and reboot, during the install process. The files should be unzipped to your card and left there for continued ML use.

-Jordan Westhoff

Rochester Institute of Technology
BS Digital Cinema/Motion Picture Science 2015

Return to posts index

sam brozinski
on May 31, 2013 at 1:23:09 am

i am not sure I like the idea of zoom connected to your DSLR. Firstly, zoom mic is not a shotgun mic and will pickup all kinds of sounds around you. 2ndly, it doesn't mount on your camera, therefore, it can be dropped, etc.

i think the best solution is a mid-range priced mic. rodes are very expensive and not worth the price in my opinion.

i would recommend:

BRONSTEIN BRN-200

http://www.amazon.com/BRONSTEIN-Video-Condenser-Microphone-Mount/dp/B00ATUM...

AUDIO TECHNICA PRO24CM

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-PRO24CM-Stereo-Microphone-Camera/dp/B0...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]