FORUMS: list search recent posts

t2i stops recording

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirk Lauterbach
t2i stops recording
on Mar 22, 2013 at 1:32:31 am

I have heard that Canon's can be brand sensitive when it comes to SD cards but I was wondering if anyone has found a solution to the problem of the camera stopping it's recording well before the 12 minute mark.

I have a class 10 trancend and a sandisc,I am shooting at 1080 24fps, and I have disabled the audio. But it still randomly stops recording sometimes. I would prefer to turn the audio back on but the problem occurs a lot more when I do.

I was looking into getting one of the class 10 HCXT? SD cards(I cant remember the exact letters) but I am starting to wonder if it is the camera and not the cards. The other day the two batteries in my battery grip went low so I replaced them with a new one and it started to do the "stop recording" thing again. I dont know why changing the battery would do anything to the recording ability but it did, which is why I am thinking its camera issues and not card issues.

Anyone ever figure out a solution to this problem?

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: t2i stops recording
on Mar 22, 2013 at 3:33:10 pm

The class 10 Transcends are good, but give me problems with video. Sandisk Pro series works fine.

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to Reds to the Arri Alexa.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Mar 23, 2013 at 7:14:37 pm

My T2i stops SOMETIMES for the following reasons:

- file too big (past the 12 min limit)
- card really full, but not totally full
- card gets hot (usually from being too slow)
- card too slow (class 6 or lower - I try to always use class10)
- sensor temp too high
- batteries can be an issue if they get hot or suddenly drop amps
- if I get a bad or corrupt Magic lantern build (sometimes it just gets hosed)

My fixes:

For temperature, swap the battery out - don't use off-brand batteries - I've had more trouble with those than Canon batteries any day. Spend the extra $ for the Canon batteries. The other off brand ones are now garbage after only a couple months of use - they overheat and won't hold a charge no matter what I do.

I use a broad variety of card brands - I've had trouble with ALL of them from Ridata, PQI, Sandisk, and the list goes on. Stick with 16GB or lower. You can use 32g and higher, but I have more issues with larger cards (32 and 64gb specifically, Sandisks). Don't know why. Also, use class 10 cards as any other card class seems to overheat no matter what brand.

Also, do regular maintenance on your camera and cards every couple months: reset camera to default settings, do low-level formats on all cards, then you have to reinstall your picture styles with EOS Utility (and reinstall magic lantern if you use it), but the camera just seems to run better.

If the sensor overheats, find a fan - remove the lens and put the mount cover in place (not sure what its called - the thing that covers the camera when there's no lens) and let the fan blow on the camera for a couple minutes. The T2i is pretty much like the 7D minus the great chassis and the dual processors so it overheats with heavy video use.

I've not tried XC cards, but any SD card over 2gb is an SDHC card. I don't think the T2i supports XC cards - only SD.

Magic Lantern (if you use it and I don't recommend it if you're not comfortable with it) can get glitchy from time to time. I've been told this has more to do with the SD cards losing data (SD cards tend to be a bit volatile anyway) than ML getting randomly corrupt, but it can happen from time to time. Version 2.3 is pretty stable and I've used it for professional photo and video work for the last several months almost exclusively - only when my ML cards are full and I have to use a regular card is it even noticeable. Anyhow, format your cards in-camera and choose to remove ML if its already installed and repeat for each ML card. I also restart the camera with the reformatted ML card and format again to wipe it all out. Reinstall per ML instructions for each card. Do this as a part of periodic maintenance.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

David Rehm
on Mar 24, 2013 at 2:56:59 am

I would tend to think that if the problem is happening with 2 different cards that it would be the camera.

David

Return to posts index

Thomas Alexander
on Mar 24, 2013 at 6:57:56 am

Are you sure that the sensor isn't over-heating? It's a common problem with DSLR's trying to shoot video. Some Canon's have a 12 minute time limit for video shooting so you will have to wait until the sensor cools down.

Thomas Alexander | Independent Cinematographer
Soulman Films | Nicosia Cyprus | +357-97697640

Return to posts index

Jordan Westhoff
on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:57:16 pm

Pretty sure this is an overheating issue - either with the card or the sensor.

-Jordan Westhoff

Rochester Institute of Technology
BS Digital Cinema/Motion Picture Science 2015

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]