FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recommended Lens for Canon 6D?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Cooney
Recommended Lens for Canon 6D?
on Mar 16, 2013 at 1:47:03 pm

I was told that the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm lens was a great option for the 6D. Anyone have any other suggestions? I can get the Tamron for about $700 but I'm ok with paying more for a lens. Looking for something with the best versatility and overall quality. Thanks.

MotionFoundry, Inc. Video Post
Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Recommended Lens for Canon 6D?
on Mar 16, 2013 at 5:44:03 pm

Hi Brian, if you get the Tamron and a Tokina 11-16 f2.8, you'll be all set at the wide end.

Here is what the Tokina can do with the 6D:

Indoors(watch in 1080p):

Outdoors: http//vimeo.com/18924002

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Mar 16, 2013 at 6:20:20 pm

thanks!

Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Mar 17, 2013 at 8:18:48 am

The Tamron 17-50mm will only work on crop sensor cameras, like the 7D, etc. it's not made for FF cameras.

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to Reds to the Arri Alexa.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Mar 17, 2013 at 3:25:36 pm

you saved my life with this response. thanks. A buddy of mine who shoots alot (I'm an editor), says he loves the 60D. But I was thinking full frame was the way to go. What do you think about the 60D for 1080p shooting? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Mar 17, 2013 at 3:34:17 pm

I'm also comparing the 60D to the 5D, 6D, 7D. I like the 6D. But what would a comparable lens recommendation be in price-range and performance to the Tamron 17-50mm. Also the 7D has more focus points than the 6D right? I'm just looking for a good package recommendation for around $2000. I can get a reconditioned 6D for $1100 and a 60D for $799 form B and H. thanks. :-)

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Mar 17, 2013 at 4:35:56 pm

It's tough to say without knowing what you're shooting. Generally, both te 60d and the 7d might see new versions soon, and I'd wait and watch.

With your budget, I'd look at the GH3. The 'thing' about full frame sensor cameras is that their zoom lenses tend to be more expensive. The equivalent to the Tamron would be a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8. The Canon version of this zoom range is crazy expensive. The Sigma isn't cheap either.

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to Reds to the Arri Alexa.

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:35:21 am

I'll probably get grief for saying this but at low ISOs there is very little difference among all those cameras. The 6D and 5D III are amazing in low light and there is a look to the full-frame sensor that's hard to beat but really, for all practical purposes, the files from a 60D or 7D will look pretty much the same as from a 6D or 5D III up to about 640 ISO. You can still get a nice, shallow depth of field out of the crop-frame cameras with a fast lens and an ND filter. Hang on to what you've got until you really need full-frame. And if the coming 70D and 7D II - if that's what they end up being called - are as good as they should be, you may not need full frame at all.

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Mar 19, 2013 at 11:12:27 am

Thanks Mike!

Return to posts index

David Rehm
on Mar 18, 2013 at 6:41:20 pm

I just bought the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm for my Nikon D7000 and am very pleased.

LD

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:06:32 pm

If you are not on a budget, the stick with the canon L-Series.

The Tamron's are a cheaper alternative, but they don't compare to the L-Series.

I'd start with a 24-70, 70-200,

I also have the $200 50mm macro for other shots. It's not as good as the L-Series, but I don't use it a lot and it gives me some nice macro shots that I need.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Jordan Westhoff
on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:12:11 pm

Huge fan of the Zeiss 50mm or the 85mm full frame lenses. Unparalleled sharpness and clarity, also very very fast. Not sure what your budget is, but I've found 50 or 85 to be sufficient for shooting 95% of scenarios.

Happy Hunting, you're going to love your 6D!

-Jordan Westhoff

Rochester Institute of Technology
BS Digital Cinema/Motion Picture Science 2015

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Apr 9, 2013 at 5:42:55 pm

thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]