FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR Continuous Shooting (Getting around the FAT32 file limit)

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
elijah stanfield
DSLR Continuous Shooting (Getting around the FAT32 file limit)
on Mar 15, 2013 at 11:55:01 pm

I'm shooting an event that will require shooting continuously for 1 hour bursts. I understand that the FAT32 SD Flash cards will only allow for files of a certain size. Is there a device that will allow me to shoot for longer times with my DSLR (Sony a99).

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: DSLR Continuous Shooting (Getting around the FAT32 file limit)
on Mar 16, 2013 at 1:25:19 am

You should research the Atmos Ninja external hard drive for capturing video to see if that will work for you. I believe the device can use your camera's HDMI output to get the video signal however many DSLR's don't provide a "clean" HDMI signal meaning you will see all the camera control information and the red recording dot overlayed on the video so that's no good. There could be other problems too like the lcd screen switching off when an external storage device is attached to your camera...but that's where I would at least start my research...let us know what you find out!

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

elijah stanfield
on Mar 16, 2013 at 1:45:54 am

Steve,
The Ninja is exactly what I need. The Sony a99 DOES have clean HDMI out.
THANKS!
-Elijah

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Mar 16, 2013 at 9:25:53 am

The A99 as noted does direct out HDMI.

That will record for as many hours (heat and battery being at issue) as needed.

There are other devices, from AJA, BMD and even a very high end CineForm codec HD device.

The Ninja 2, a screen, in addition to the A99, and uses inexpensive 2.5"' HDs if somewhat static shooting, versus SSDs.

That is a brilliant camera for motion, zones etc. and the CPU/sensor combo, make tracking, well, like a Sony video camera versus C and N where the snail motors are in the lens.

RM

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:03:58 pm

It's always good to have an actual video camera for long shoots / corporate seminars, etc., for just such occasions.

Sometimes I'll shoot for 6 hrs and have 6 hrs. of footage. They need the entire seminar for employees that could not make it.

It's long and boring, but it's what the client needed. DSLR's won't fit the bill for these shoots.

You can rent or pick up a video camera for cheap.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:58:17 pm

>>>Sometimes I'll shoot for 6 hrs and have 6 hrs of footage
>>>DSLR's won't fit the bill for these shoots

...There are some DSLRs that can handle 6 hour shoots. :-)

The Panasonic GH2 and GH3 has no time limit for the length of the video you can shoot as long as your memory card has room and your camera has power. The longest single video I've shot to date is 80 minutes with a GH2 camera. ( a symphonic musical performance )

With the GH2 a fully charged camera battery records about 80 minutes of video, and with the GH3 a fully charged battery records about 120 minutes of video. To power the camera longer than this you can add a battery grip to the GH3 which enables you to record one video 240 minutes long. Beyond this, you can use an external battery or AC power system.

Currently the largest SDXC card you can use with the GH3 is 256 GB, which will record a single 20+ hour video with the GH3 camera.

Return to posts index

Carlos E. Martinez
on Apr 8, 2013 at 5:58:14 pm

What about card types and GH2 hacks?

How do they affect record time limit and/or other issues?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]