FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5D "stutter"

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brecht Boelens
Canon 5D "stutter"
on Mar 9, 2013 at 12:56:18 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to film with my Canon 5D mk 2, but for some reason it has some kind of weird stutter/jitter in the footage. I have uploaded a small clip to youtube as example. I have also uploaded it for download, as for some users youtube might be a bit too slow to really show what I mean. Both links at the bottom.

In the video you can see that the legs of the chair are somewhat moving/jittering on the sides. It's not fluid. I have this everytime I use a rail or make a pan from tripod. The faster I go, the more it "stutters". I know that this is quite normal for high speed pans with the 5D, but I even have it with semi-low to low speeds, as shown in the video.

I have tried several settings on my camera. I work in 25 fps, 1080P. I have tried putting my shutterspeed dividable by 25 so, 50, 100, 125, etc... But none of those give me smooth video.
I use 60MB/s CF cards.

In AE I tried frameblend and motion blur, but none of those seem to make the footage smoother.

I have seen other ppl make similar footage with their 5D's, without the stutter, so there must be something wrong with either my camera (settings) or there is some kind of software trick to make it all more fluent.

afaik I have tried almost every tutorial that handles similar 5D stutter-problems, but none of those were succesfull.

If anyone could help me with this or has any idea on why this is, I will be more than gratefull!

I'm relatively new to this, so if I did not give the correct or enough information, pls let me know what you need and I will provide it.

http://www.2shared.com/video/FTo-r6WJ/Chair_test.html

Regards

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Canon 5D "stutter"
on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:31:33 pm

Looks like normal 24/25p video to me. If you want smooth, shoot 60p or 60i.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Brecht Boelens
on Mar 12, 2013 at 10:31:59 am

Thanks for the reply Jason.

I agree it has no huge impact on the footage. Yet, when I compare with some of the 5D video's I can find on vimeo etc, I do notice a difference in smoothness compared to mine.

Is it possible that "they" make their footage smoother with some software plugin?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 11, 2013 at 11:23:23 pm

im going to take a stab at this. ok, since you're using a dolly, I bet the 24p on the dolly is the culprit. You probably wouldn't see that if you used a glidecam because it doesn't have wheels that are sticky or bumpy. Try adding weight to the dolly so that it has greater inertia. then add silicon oil to the friction parts.

Return to posts index

Brecht Boelens
on Mar 12, 2013 at 10:28:00 am

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I have used a Ditogear Omnislider for this shot. It's more of a computer programmed rail. So, I don't think that is the problem...

Return to posts index

charles meadows
on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:03:09 pm

I don't see any problem with it? A little moire on the weave but all else seems great. Did you upload the footage that came directly out of the camera? I always find the footage from directly from the camera looks juttery but once rendered from the NLE that goes away.

"There's no point in filming if you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa
http://www.incubatevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:11:38 pm

I see a hiccup at the end. 24/25p is meant to look a little jittery to give you a simulated film look. Film is jittery.

DO you see this in the RAW footage? What you see online has been compressed and if not done correctly, it can look bad.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Brecht Boelens
on Mar 21, 2013 at 2:09:53 am

It looks exactly the same as in the raw footage. It's weird, but I hear similar analysis everywhere. It looks normal to most...

Suppose I have good eyesight, as I do see quite a difference. But ok, Must be the 25fps. I'll just look into buying a better camera.

Thanks for the replys!

Return to posts index

Kornelije Kovac
on May 28, 2013 at 6:25:38 pm

I have the same problem with 550D. The picture is splitting in horizontal, like a broken of glass and it seems jerky like it is 20 fps, although it's not.
What's the solution for this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]