FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 60d: Weird blue/gray color appearing

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lori harfenist
Canon 60d: Weird blue/gray color appearing
on Mar 6, 2013 at 4:22:33 pm

Hi,

I'm shooting green screen footage using a Canon 60d. I'm getting some weird blue/gray shadowing on my subject's forehead (see image example here: http://www.theresident.net/wp-content/uploads/sample3.png). It seems like when she wrinkles her forehead and shadows are created, this is when the weird blue/gray appears. My settings are:

1920x1080 24
movie exposure: auto
shutter speed: 60
aperture: 5.6
ISO: auto
exposure comp: 0
Auto lighting optimizer: strong
picture style: portrait
white balance: K 3400
peripheral illumin. correct.: enable
highlight tone priority: disable

Any ideas of how to fix this issue? Thanks very much!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Canon 60d: Weird blue/gray color appearing
on Mar 6, 2013 at 6:01:11 pm

Your link is broken but:

1) turn OFF auto lighting optimizer

2) why are you shooting on all auto ?- that's going to cause you issues even though at first it may seem "easier"

My best suggestion is to set your movie exposure setting to manual which will give you ful control over the camera. The auto setting is why, for instance, your camera set its aperture to 1/60 when 1/50th would have been more ideal - not a huge deal in this particular case but still.

3) Turn off peripheral illumin. correct - that's for when you are shooting JPG still images

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

lori harfenist
on Mar 6, 2013 at 6:06:25 pm

Hey Steve,

Thanks so much for some input! Sorry, the errant closing parenthesis broke the link - it should be http://www.theresident.net/wp-content/uploads/sample3.png

I'm using a lot of auto because I'm pretty new at the camera. Thanks for the tips - I will try those out.

Can you tell me why you recommend turning off the auto lighting optimizer? It gives a really nice brightness to the green screen, which I like - but of course not at the expense of blue forehead. :)

Again thanks for your input!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Mar 6, 2013 at 6:16:00 pm

The Auto Lighting Optimizer is designed to "help" with shadows - exactly where you are having issues so that's why I am suspicious of it - plus you have it on strong. I was able to look at the screen grab and another thing you might try is to bounce some light to the face and forehead using a reflector - not too much, just enough to help combat the natural shadows caused by the hair - give that a shot and let us know how it works out.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

lori harfenist
on Mar 6, 2013 at 6:20:49 pm

Ah, that makes sense then, to turn down the auto lighting stabilizer then!

I will try out your suggestions when I shoot more tomorrow and will let you know how it works out! If you have any others, feel free to let me know. I'm very new at this camera (and admittedly, cameras in general!), so your input is super helpful!

Return to posts index

lori harfenist
on Mar 7, 2013 at 5:48:20 pm

Hey Steve,

Argh - I tried all of these things, and nothing seemed to work. Any other suggestions?

I feel like I've tried everything. Could it be the camera itself?

The one thing I haven't tried is switching the image quality setting from M to L - I thought that was only for stills...

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Mar 7, 2013 at 5:58:15 pm

I'm surprised to hear that, okay try setting your white balance to one of the built in settings like daylight, shadow, indoor etc.

And you said you tried putting more light on the face also? It's something to do with color, color balance I think.

One more thing....the screen capture you provided, was that directly from the H.264 video shot by the camera or did you compress the video into another format and THEN made the screenshot?

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

John Young
on Mar 7, 2013 at 6:26:11 pm

Is this a frame grab from video or a still image?

Judging from the image, it looks like moire/aliasing. This is a problem for most video cameras, but it is especially exaggerated in DSLRs. What are your picture style settings?
Do some research into suggested picture style settings. Your sharpness should probably be turned all the way down.

John

John Young
Surrounding Media

Return to posts index

lori harfenist
on Mar 7, 2013 at 6:29:31 pm

Hi John,

It's a screen grab from video. I've never had this issue with any other video camera, so it's weird!

I am using the portrait picture setting, but I also tried just standard.

I haven't tried turning down sharpness, but I will! Will that make the picture blurry, though? I need the subject to look nice and high-def crisp.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Mar 7, 2013 at 6:51:25 pm

[lori harfenist] "Will that make the picture blurry, though? I need the subject to look nice and high-def crisp."

No, not all all. Keep in mind that DSLRs are built for still images with a resolutions of 5000 x 3000 or higher. When you take the sensor and imaging features built for high resolution images and subsample that down to 1920 x 1080 (through line skipping), that is when you can big problems moire and aliasing. And like Steve said, if you need a little more sharpness later on, you can add it in the finishing phase.

[lori harfenist] "I've never had this issue with any other video camera, so it's weird!" These problems exist with other cameras to a much smaller degree than they do with DSLRs. You really have to be cognizant of it.

John Young
Surrounding Media
Follow on Twitter

Return to posts index

lori harfenist
on Mar 7, 2013 at 7:07:37 pm

Cool - fingers crossed. :)

Return to posts index

lori harfenist
on Mar 7, 2013 at 6:49:58 pm

Cool, I will try that on tomorrow's shoot and let you know how it goes. It seems so weird that it's so localized though. Such a strange thing!

Return to posts index

lori harfenist
on Mar 8, 2013 at 5:40:54 pm

Hi guys -

Well, the issue is still occurring. One question I neglected to answer of yours was that the screen grab is from the raw output, H.264.

I tried your recommendations on turning sharpness all the way down; I tried different white balances, pre-set ones included; I tried the recommendations on your site link, Steve.

Is it possible the camera is just not well? I'm considering exchanging it for a new one.

I can't seem to find anyone else having any kind of the same issue...

I really appreciate all your input so far!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Mar 8, 2013 at 5:47:41 pm

I don't think its time quite yet for the returning the camera - here is a kind of a long shot, convert your Raw Video to ProRes using the free MpegStreamClip app or whatever you have, see if that helps at all.

Another quick test is to film someone in a different environment - perhaps outdoors or in another room and to be fair I'd make sure there was some shadow falling on the person, even if only on their forehead from their hair....the idea here is to see if the problem is related to the environment you are filming in or to the camera. If you are still getting the same issue, then the camera or its settings become more suspect

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

lori harfenist
on Mar 8, 2013 at 6:03:10 pm

Hi Steve -

Just tried to convert to ProRes. No difference. Just tried the camera out with the same settings in a completely different room with completely different lighting, and the issue was there, too....

This one is really really weird!!

Return to posts index

lori harfenist
on Mar 8, 2013 at 6:12:56 pm

Hi Steve!

Just tried converting to ProRes, and I also tried shooting in another room with completely different lighting. The issue persisted.

I also just tried jacking up the aperture all the way open, and the issue still persisted. UGH! This is sooo annoying and weird!!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Mar 8, 2013 at 7:05:20 pm

Well at least we know that it IS either the camera or the settings....

All right, how about this....reinstall the camera firmware to return it to the same condition it was out of the box new....by the way are you using Magic Lantern??? I can't remember, but if you are try removing it and see what happens.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

lori harfenist
on Mar 8, 2013 at 7:08:14 pm

I'm using nada - I took it out of the box and started shooting. :)

I just got it two weeks ago. After watching that aliasing video (here's the link again: http://nofilmschool.com/2011/08/r-i-p-aliasing-problems-dslrs-filter-elimin... ) I'm guessing that's the issue. Because what's happening on the rug is super similar to what's happening on my forehead.

Return to posts index

lori harfenist
on Mar 8, 2013 at 7:06:12 pm

I think at this point I've tried every setting, and I think it's just an aliasing issue.

After just googling 60d and aliasing, a lot came up. This filter video for the 5d I think shows the problem well, and also shows a fix. Now to find a filter for the 60d that works as well! :)

http://nofilmschool.com/2011/08/r-i-p-aliasing-problems-dslrs-filter-elimin...

Return to posts index

lori harfenist
on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:15:14 pm

Hi guys -

I just wanted to follow up to say that the aliasing filter I got from Mosaic actually worked like a charm. They make them for the canon dslrs here:

http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf.html

I just popped it in and BOOM, weird blues gone.

Thanks again for all your input! It helped me get to know my new camera fast. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]