FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I erase RAW files?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo Ratner
Should I erase RAW files?
on Mar 4, 2013 at 4:46:05 pm

Hey there,

I've been filming lots of footage for my company in the past year and created about 10tb of video files (Raw, Prores, Exports etc.)

The RAW files, which I never go back to or use, especially on finished projects, are taking up SO much space. Is there any reason why I SHOULDN'T delete them all after conversion?

Would like to hear what you suggest/do?

Thanks,
Leo

Return to posts index

charles meadows
Re: Should I erase RAW files?
on Mar 4, 2013 at 5:30:57 pm

We generally back-up our projects by packaging them within the edit system and then store them to our Drobo. The thing is we also keep some of the raw footage as stock. I'd say if you packaged your projects correctly then you'll have most of the footage already backed-up. If you haven't backed-up then I suggest you work out what footage is important to keep because I can guarantee that the moment you erase something it is the moment you need it. Rather more footage have than you need than have not enough, as Yoda would say.

"There's no point in filming if you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa
http://www.incubatevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Mar 5, 2013 at 12:53:58 am

When you say "raw" are you talking about simply the camera originals or are you talking about true RAW video files like those produced by the Red cameras? If you are talking about the footage shot by the camera in some compressed format like H.264 then I wouldn't be so concerned if you deleted them since you have a ProRes version which is much less compressed.

On the other hand, if your camera is shooting true RAW format video files then in no way would I ever consider deleting them.

In either case make sure you have a good backup procedure in place - if you aren't backing up but merely archiving the past footage away then I would not delete a single thing and I would make sure to get a backup procedure going ASAP

All the best!

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Leo Ratner
on Mar 5, 2013 at 6:57:07 am

Thank you both for the quick reply.

Yes, I meant the h.264s straight out of my SLR.
usually create one folder for the RAW footage and a Converted Folder (ProRes). Where's prores produces huge files, the RAW format is useless and can reach 96gb for a day of shoot....

The problem is I'm running out of space and already need to alternate between two 6TB G-Raids. Deleting my RAWs will clear up lots of space and I have the prores files as the original editable files.

THE BIG QUESTION IS: Should keep these files, even though I have my Prores ones backed up and I never use the RAWs?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Mar 5, 2013 at 2:37:19 pm

"THE BIG QUESTION IS: Should keep these files, even though I have my Prores ones backed up and I never use the RAWs?"

Heard of the saying: "Never say never"? In any case, if you're certain you won't need it, then you won't need it.

If I were you, I'd dump the Prores files and keep the H.264 originals instead. :)

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to Reds to the Arri Alexa.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Mar 5, 2013 at 2:44:50 pm

Hmmm having read Sareesh's advice - it makes a lot of sense to me since you can always recreate the ProRes files. I view the ProRes files as being of higher quality which is why I suggested deleting the H.264s if you had to choose one or the other but I can see the other choice makes sense

No chance of getting another hard drive?

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Mar 5, 2013 at 2:40:57 pm

In that case, if you feel you have to delete, I'd delete only the H.264 files that are NOT used in any project assuming you are saving the contents of the whole card which I do as well

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]