FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH2 too sharp ?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harvey Brepson
GH2 too sharp ?
on Feb 21, 2013 at 2:01:07 pm

Hello,
I've noticed that the GH2 is sharp, perhaps a little too sharp...
I have the 14-140mm Panasonic lens, and my videos look too much like camcorder videos,
even in "Smooth" or "Nostalgic" with -2;-2;-2;-2 settings on and a "Soft" hack (Apocalypse Now DrewNet version Soft 444 matrix).

Is there any other hack that could make my gh2 videos look like videos from Canon or Nikon DSLRs but still sharper than them ?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: GH2 too sharp ?
on Feb 21, 2013 at 9:16:00 pm

try natural, sharpness -2, contrast -2

Return to posts index

Harvey Brepson
on Feb 22, 2013 at 5:10:28 pm

There is no -4, minimum is -2

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Feb 23, 2013 at 11:13:33 am

Hi Harvey - the problem is the 14-140. It is well known to produce the too-sharp camcorder "look". Another problem may be deep depth of field, especially if you are outdoors without an ND filter. I recommend you try a $13.60 variable ND filter first, to open up your aperture - and, if that doesn't work, try some old Nikon or Canon FD primes with inexpensive Nikon or Canon FD adapters.

For example, here is a Canon FD 28mm f2.0 for $172 on eBay.

I have gotten good results with these lenses.

Others prefer old Soviet Helios lenses. Andrew Reid of eoshd says, "If I were stuck on a desert island with only one lens, I’d choose the $20 Helios 44M-2 and anamorphic adapter..."

You can get the Helios 44-2 58mm f2 from the UK from a reputable seller for less than $40.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Harvey Brepson
on Feb 23, 2013 at 6:31:29 pm

Thank you Bill,
but isn't there any kind of really soft Hack for the GH2 I could try before buying some lenses ?

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Feb 24, 2013 at 12:06:58 am

A lot of the Canon "soft look" is lack of vertical resolution at 1080p (about 600 lines versus the Panasonic's 800). If your image is "too sharp" compared to Canon, it may simply be that your GH2 is simply out-resolving the Canon images you've seen. Perhaps you can try shooting a few scenes at 720p before buying new lenses?

Cheers,

Bill

Return to posts index

Harvey Brepson
on Feb 24, 2013 at 1:21:42 am

Okay, I will try it out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]