FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR or dedicated video camera?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Ivory
DSLR or dedicated video camera?
on Feb 20, 2013 at 10:52:24 am

Hello to you all,

First post here having been a lurker for a while, and guess what, it's a typical first post. What DSLR should I get?

Background : I'm currently shooting on a handheld Zi8, putting together a corporate video for my team in my own time (my actual job is nothing to do with videography). I put together a similar video 4 years ago using a SD sony handycam and Vegas Movie Studio, and the video was very well received (I even got a small bonus for doing it).

I'm now reshooting footage in 1080p at 30fps using the Zi8, with Adobe CS6 Production Premium as my editing suite, as we've gone through a rebranding.

The footage I'm getting is great, but I'm wondering if a DSLR would improve things even more? Given the small lense size of the Zi8 and lack of video options (aside from EIS and resolution) it suffers in low light, and as the camera itself is so small (a mobile phone size), it suffers a lot from shake when handheld. (Which happens a lot as most of the filming environments do not lend themselves to a tripod or monopod).

I'm looking at the A57, 650D, D5200, or at a stretch the GH2.

I haven't got a stills camera at all, so the DSLR route does appeal to me, but should I just bite the bullet and get a prosumer video camera like the Canon HF G10.

The footage will be quite eclectic, with interviews, indoor footage, outside footage, and footage in some dank dark places, so this could affect my choice as I need something as a "jack of all trades".

Thanks in advance for any help, any further info I can give please let me know.

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: DSLR or dedicated video camera?
on Feb 21, 2013 at 10:29:15 am

Maybe this will help: http://wolfcrow.com/blog/what-is-the-best-dslr-for-video/

From the cameras you listed the 650D and the GH2 are great, with the GH2 being slightly ahead in terms of video quality in my opinion. If you can swing it, the GH3 should be your best bet.

On the other hand, I suggest you also look at the FS100, even though it might be out of your budget.

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to Reds to the Arri Alexa.

Return to posts index

naskdn cluy
on Mar 6, 2013 at 2:43:44 pm

you can go for a good offer on a 650D / T4i, it is a camera with very good value

Return to posts index

naskdn cluy
on Mar 7, 2013 at 1:03:50 am

Specs link http://t4ivst3i.com/canon-rebel-eos-t4i-vs-60d-comparison /

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]