FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dslr Camera and lens good for shooting outdoor golf events

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Allen
Dslr Camera and lens good for shooting outdoor golf events
on Feb 18, 2013 at 8:14:09 pm

Hello all,

I'm looking to purchase a dslr camera, Canon or Nikon, mainly for shooting video of golfing events. As far as budget i'm looking to stay below $4000, camera, lens equip etc.. The video must be hd and good for tv and internet. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. I've been looking at the Canon T3i, but any and all opinion will help :). Thanks in advance,

Chad

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Dslr Camera and lens good for shooting outdoor golf events
on Feb 19, 2013 at 2:35:05 am

The T4i would be a great choice...get the body only and then buy the Canon 50mm 1.4 as your basic lens to go with it - it's great. Next get a Fader ND or a set of ND filters for filming outdoors, you will also need some kind of LCD hood/magnfier, I use the Zacutto Z-Finder but there are less expensive options, without this you won't be able to see the LCD screen when filming outdoors on bright days.

You'll need a wide angle lens, for that I'd suggest a 24-70mm fixed aperture lens, Canon makes a good one but other brands can be considered too.

Next be sure to get the Manfrotto Monopod - the 561BHDV-1 - don't even consider another model just get it and you will thank me later.

Think hard about your sound requirements if you plan on doing any sort of interviews - it's going to take some budget.

This is a bare bones kit but will serve you very well - at a later point you can upgrade the camera to the Canon 7D but for now the T4i will be just as good for you.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Chad Allen
on Feb 28, 2013 at 7:31:19 pm

Update,
Thanks again for all your input. I decided to go with the Canon t4i instead of upgrading the Nikon d5100. Video of the show will be posted on my website at AlabamaGolfReview.com shortly. Thanks again,

Chad
AlabamaGolfReview.com

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Feb 19, 2013 at 9:32:16 am

I would recommend the GH3 above all else.

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to Reds to the Arri Alexa.

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Feb 20, 2013 at 1:25:10 am

I agree with Sareesh. You should consider the Panny GH3, a great camera. Also the 12-35 lens, a great lens for the money.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Feb 20, 2013 at 1:43:13 am

You are going to need some serious glass to shoot golf. Figure on everything from a wide-angle to at least a 300mm. If you're thinking of shooting for tv, you are going to need to shoot a variety of angles and for that you'll need to cover everything from wide-angle to tight upper body stuff with a long lens.
Personally, if you only want to shoot video, I'd bypass the DSLRs entirely and spend the money on an actual video camera. If you want to shoot stills as well, that's another story. I'm guessing by your question that you are just getting started in the video game and that you've heard DSLRs are the way to go. For many things, they are excellent tools. But they are compromise tools. Good as they are, they're designed to be still cameras first. I think, for this particular use, you'd be better off with a dedicated video camera.

Return to posts index

Chad Allen
on Feb 20, 2013 at 2:10:31 am

First Thanks to everyone for your replies,

Mike I'm especially about your reply. I'm not exactly new to video I've shot weddings and a few corporate events a few years back, at that time I was using a Canon XL1 video camera. Now, I'm looking to get back into video and my concerns are that most of the new hd prosumer video cameras don't shoot as good of video as you would get with some of the new dslrs unless you climb the price ladder. I've recently had someone suggest the Sony Nex VG-900 which doesn't look back accept for the current price. I am more comfortable with a "regular video camera" so do you have any suggestions on them. As my previous post stated I'm shooting for tv and web. Once again, any information would be appreciated,

Chad
AlabamaGolfReview.com

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Feb 20, 2013 at 2:28:49 am

Sorry, I made an assumption I shouldn't have but I know a lot of folks want the look of DSLRs without realizing the amount of difficulty involved in making them do a job they're not really designed for.
As far as video cameras go, the Sony you mentioned is about the only one I know of in your price range that comes close. Canon also makes a couple of models that shoot HD to cards that you may be able to find used that could fit your budget as well.
Do you have any lenses at all? The reason I ask is that any crop-frame Canon DSLR will give you similar video. They all use the same sensor with more or less the same processing all the way from the cheapest T3i to the 7D so you could get something in the middle like a 60D and get great video.
The problem is that you'll need a suite of lenses - or at least something like a 17-70 and a 70-300 to get you started - as well as sound gear and rigging to allow you to shoot the moving subjects you will be concentrating on. Even if you have stuff left over from your earlier video forays, it is likely that none of it will work with the DSLRs. Your $4000 will disappear in a hurry.
You may find that the Sony with an 18-200 will do the job well enough to get you going. The used Canons will come with lenses as well. You'll still need sound gear, of course, and some sort of support system but at least you can get shooting right away.
Hope all that helps and that I haven't been too much of a downer!!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:00:36 am

Here's a little motivation as to what can be accomplished with a HD DSLR from the guys at StillMotion and the Callaway series

Now they used the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV which would eat up your entire budget but they also had Canon 7D shots in there and you probably can't tell the difference. I don't know what your vision is for these golf videos but I would concentrate on profiles and not trying to capture every shot. For that reason I disagree on the long telephoto lens...I just don't think you will need them - you aren't likely to be able to capture much of the long drive type shots anyways as far as "play by play" goes, I think of these like small films, not documenting games...therefore I know I will be reasonably close to my subjects even if I am filming from where the spectators stand around the tee.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:05:34 am

I agree that this is indeed inspiring but - and I hate to make another assumption - I don't think Chad will be shooting for Callaway. Great things can be accomplished with practice but even Usain Bolt had to take his first baby steps.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:10:23 am

ha ha yep probably not but my point was to really show what can be done with a DSLR versus a traditional videocamera and I've used both. The beauty of those DSLR shots can't be matched by traditional videocameras unless you spend huge dollars...but the same approach, creativity and style StillMotion used can be done for a local golf club tournament - it doesn't have to be a Callaway Series and, like you said, probably won't be to begin with.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media

Return to posts index

Mike Drew
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:19:42 am

You bet, Steve, I agree. I shoot exclusively with DSLRs myself. And of course, we should all aspire to greatness. Lord knows I've got a long ways to go. My point, though, is that a lot of people I talk to or see comments from on these forums - fora?? - have the impression that all that's required to shoot lovely DSLR video is to just get a DSLR and shoot video. Nothing could be further from the truth.
But yes, DSLR trumps an inexpensive video camera any day. I was just thinking that Chad's question was about a specific scenario, one that would require more than just a passing familiarity with DSLR video shooting.

Return to posts index

Paul Trunkfield
on Feb 21, 2013 at 11:15:18 am

Hi Chad, there are lots of great point here. However, instead of buying have you thought about renting the gear to see what suits best. Here in the UK you could hire a Canon 7d or 5d with a few different lenses, tripod, stabiliser, audio recorder and microphone etc etc for a quarter of that $4000 you have. Then put any money you might be making from your golf shoot to the rest of the $4000 you have left after hiring and buy your gear. Or just rent again on the next shoot and try a different camera/lenses if the first lot didn't suit.

Return to posts index

Chad Allen
on Feb 21, 2013 at 3:12:14 pm

Thanks again for all the information shared here, sorry for the delayed update. Here is a bit more information on what I'm doing. I will be shooting a local golf show with the main focus on the landscape(the golf holes), with a couple of interviews and a few shots of actual play (teeing off etc...)Not much continuos shooting over 10 mins or so. The video will show on tv and online. With that being said Let me ask you all this.. :) I purchased a Nikon d5100 for wife a year ago with the kit lens. If that was all you had and wanted to use that for video "to get me started" what other equipment would you recommend purchasing using as little money as possible; lens options, audio equip etc. I believe earlier Steve offered a pretty good run down of equip for the canon. By the way that was a good video you posted a link to, the Callaway commercials are a little ways down the line. Thanks again for all your information

Chad
AlabamaGolfReview.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]