FORUMS: list search recent posts

to split or not to split? AE or Premiere?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
El Jev
to split or not to split? AE or Premiere?
on Feb 18, 2013 at 3:01:05 pm

I shot some footage of a glassblower doing his thing on my canon 60D in *.mov format with h264 codec 1920*1080p,
since it's a hectic environment I shot about 150 short clips and a couple of longer ones, many of which have a couple of seconds
( i figured most shots wouldn't last for more then 8 seconds at max in the vid itself. now is it possible to cut or split the seconds i need out of these clips without noticeable loss?

I am going to use a lot of screen in screen sequences, like have hafl of the screen taken by one shot, and have 2 smaller shots next to it depicting the stages after or before at the same time. have things go out, come in and so on

This seems like something that would be easier to do with after effects comps loaded into premiere pro then the other way around?
make all the shots in AE and then sequence the AE files in premiere

I'm planning to use motion grpahics and particles too, can premiere render out these filters and particle systems? and does it do so as good as AE?

Also, i now have everything in

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: to split or not to split? AE or Premiere?
on Feb 18, 2013 at 3:13:57 pm

You don't say what versions of AE or PPro you have. If you happen to have CS6, I would start out in Prelude, marke and select the clips you want, make a rough cut, then bring it into PPro, do the fine editing (frame accurate), then do the final insets in AE.

That said, I am a lot more comfortable and fast in AE than in PPro, so there may be others who weigh in who would start in AE. Bear in mind that in AE, you can split a clip, but you can't really cut it and save it as a separate clip without exporting it, losing some resolution (not much, depending on the intermediate format you choose to work with).

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
on Feb 18, 2013 at 3:32:22 pm

I had a similar type of project that I did based on http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/motion-graphics/building-a-grid-like-layou...

I ended working entirely in after effects, however, with dynamic linking in CS6 you could import your AE project back into premiere

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
After Effects CS5.5/ FCS3 / Canon 7D / Canon XL2 / Reason / Cubase

"it's either binary or it's not"

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Feb 19, 2013 at 9:30:15 am

Edit in premiere and finish in AE. Simple. Do the splits in AE.

Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to Reds to the Arri Alexa.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]