FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to DSLR. Sync timecodes when recording on the H4?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Stevantoni
New to DSLR. Sync timecodes when recording on the H4?
on Feb 6, 2013 at 5:48:21 pm

Hello

I'm going to be directing my first short using a DSLR. Before now I have only been using my XA10 with XLR inputs into it.

Since I can't do that with the DSLR I have to use the H4n Zoom. I operate with a very small crew and have very limited time so is there anyway to sync the timecode of my H4n and my DSLR so I don't have to slate each slot.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Mike

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: New to DSLR. Sync timecodes when recording on the H4?
on Feb 7, 2013 at 3:30:02 am

When using a dual audio setup you don't necessarily have to slate your shots, I rarely do in fact. Today plugins like PluralEyes allow your NLE to sync the audio for you automatically, FCP X, I believe, has this functionality built in. Personally I sync the H4N quality audio manually during editing and it's not that time consuming at all.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

David Rehm
on Feb 7, 2013 at 2:51:21 pm

I agree with Steve - I synch it manually in Premiere all the time. It's rather simple and not time consuming at all. No need to spend money on a program that does what you can do very easily.

As for slating - I don't really need it. Just use the beginning of any word an actor is saying.

David R.

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Feb 7, 2013 at 3:23:18 pm

Yep essentially what I do is I import the video clip with the audio captured by the camera into Final Cut, then in the timeline below I import the Zoom H4N audio. With the zoom track muted, I find a point in the camera audio where an "explosive" sound is made, like maybe the letter T, or the first word after a pause. I then place a marker at that point and mute the camera audio track.

Next I work on the Zoom H4N track by first unmuting it and then finding that same sound - often I will set a marker on that track too.

Now all I have to do is align the markers which will get me synced to within a couple frame. Finally I UNMUTE all the tracks so that I can hear them both played at the same time. When the audio is out of sync you will hear an echo - it's usually pretty easy if you are zoomed all the way in to the Zoom audio track to know which way to move it in order to align the waveforms and get rid of that echo. Once the echo is gone, I unmute the Zoom audio track so that it is now the only one playing, I'm done!

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]