FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to Canon T4i - need directional mic -

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Heath
New to Canon T4i - need directional mic -
on Jan 27, 2013 at 12:08:40 am

I recently purchased a Canon T4i and I'd like to upgrade the sound. I record live music and interviews. Specifically I'm looking for a mic that can be near the speaker and a couple feet away from the camera.

I've been reading all day about juiced links, zoom external recorders, microphones etc. My head is spinning. Like most, I'm on a low budget (under $500) . Seeing how an external recording device is out of my budget, I'd like to record the sound along with the video, in the camera.
Will this ever sound decent?
Can you recommend a microphone and stand?
Do I need an additional piece of hardware to boost the signal?

Again, I'm specifically concerned with recording vocal interviews in an indoor/outdoor setting.

I have a Canon HV30 MiniDV with a Canon directional stereo mic in the hotshoe, which I put in the back of the venue to capture sound and a basic image of the performance that I can cut to. It sounds really good, a vast improvement over the onboard mic.

I'm a one man team and imagine I would have a mic on a stationary stand above/near the speaker, with the camera a few feet away for shallow focus. Minijack with 15 or so feet of cable.

I've been taping since I was a kid but I'm an amateur and appreciate the patience and help. Thank you.

Return to posts index

David Rehm
Re: New to Canon T4i - need directional mic -
on Jan 28, 2013 at 7:56:26 am

For an external recorder I would recommend the Tascam DR-40. Just look it up - it has everything you could need. Sounds awesome, easy to use and priced just right.

I would not depend on the audio recorded to the camera.

LD

Return to posts index

Dan Edwards
Re: New to Canon T4i - need directional mic -
on Feb 6, 2013 at 6:24:40 pm

I just purchased a DR-40 and can totally back this up. Its also great since you can expand with better mics and such. Buying the DSLR audio kit from B&H is a great value as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]