FORUMS: list search recent posts

18fps super8 film shot on GH2 1080i - how to correct flicker?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay church
18fps super8 film shot on GH2 1080i - how to correct flicker?
on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:16:50 pm

if there is a more appropriate forum or sub-forum for this question, please let me know.

i have some documenation footage of a live performance which includes super 8 film projections (18fps) on a screen in the background.
the footage was shot with a GH2 at 1080i (60i).

i ingested the footage into FCP using the compressor setting for "Pro Res 422 for interlaced material".

the footage looks pretty good in the timeline but there is definitely a film flicker which i'm assuming is due to the inconsistency of frame rates between the super8 projection and the frame rate of the GH2 which was capturing the performance.

my question is, what can I do at this point, if anything, to correct or reduce the flicker, and what would be the best way to shoot something similar (scene that includes 18fps film projection) in the future using a GH2 (60i, 60p, or 24p)?

thanks in advance,

_jc

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: 18fps super8 film shot on GH2 1080i - how to correct flicker?
on Jan 23, 2013 at 8:50:19 pm

I would expect anything at 18fps to have flicker in it...much like the "old timey" handcranked keystone cop type films from the early 1900's. You can try some motion bluring filters and maybe limit the effect to just the portion of your video frame showing the projection screen.

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: 18fps super8 film shot on GH2 1080i - how to correct flicker?
on Jan 24, 2013 at 3:55:42 am

it depends....
is the flicker the whole frame or does it have scrolling bars of darkness?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]