FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice for first job as videographer- DSLR or camcorder?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hannah Boatfield
Advice for first job as videographer- DSLR or camcorder?
on Jan 23, 2013 at 1:22:56 am

Hello, I'd love any input on this as I am a bit confused about what options to go for at the moment...

I am going out to the Middle East in a couple of weeks to shoot a 3-5 minute film, predominantly based on interviews. I was planning to get a Canon 5d mark ii as my background is in photography and I love the look that you get with DSLR video, but I have never used them for filming before, and would be worried this would be a lot more complicated as I will be recording the audio separately, on a H4n Zoom, as well as a Rode videomic on top of the camera. For lighting I am planning on having and LED lighting block.

My question is, which seems silly after after all this research and planning for using a DSLR for the project, but I'm slightly worried about the amount of things that can go wrong, especially as it will be just me doing all the video/audio, perhaps I should purchase or rent a camcorder instead? If so, does anyone have any suggestions for appropriate camcorder models?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Advice for first job as videographer- DSLR or camcorder?
on Jan 23, 2013 at 9:11:43 am

Hannah, the truth is I can pretty much guarantee that when you try to do everything from sound, lighting, camera operation, direction, talent coordination, craft services etc etc, mistakes will occur. But you know what? So what! It's worth it not only for the look you can get but how much you will learn.

Frankly I act as a one man professionally and I'm ALWAYS somewhat anxious about things going wrong particularly because I'm charging money for this. I think it makes me a bit sharper in some ways. Just set up your interview process so that you have an opportunity to test and double check your captured video AND audio before your interview subjects leaves your set...let them know this is "guerilla filmmaking" at its best and that you are new and most people will be more than happy to cut you a little slack. Everyone has made embarrassing mistakes or had equipment failures - that just goes with the territory, it's how you deal with it and how you minimize the impact of your mistakes on clients and interview subjects that really matters. A person who hasn't blundered at some point must be playing it so safe that their work is dead boring - take a risk, what is the worst thing that could really happen?

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Hannah Boatfield
on Jan 23, 2013 at 9:44:00 am

Steve, thank you so much for that response, that really is the best advice I could have heard at this point!! If you have the time, would you mind giving me an idea of the kit that you use? Thank you, you really have made my day!

Return to posts index

Hannah Boatfield
on Jan 29, 2013 at 4:31:24 pm

Thanks Steve, your production kit blog list helped me a lot. I have now assembled most of my kit, my main purchase still to make is another lens...I have the Canon 50mm 1.4, which I love, but am hoping to just buy one other that will cover me for everything else...as I said this will be mainly sit down interviews, but I will also be shooting photos and film in the surrounding area... would you say the Canon 24-105 would be a good option? Cover me for most eventualities? I have up to about £1000 to spend, although less would be good as that would clear me out completely!

Thanks again,
Hannah

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:39:50 pm

I think you will be quite happy with that lens particularly given the budget issues which is just a fact of life. For interviews it should work out just great so I say go for it.

I believe that is a L series lens which is top of the line for Canon so it's going to be beautiful to work with. I would ideally like to have a Tamron 24-70mm which can get down to the 2.8 f stop for even more beautiful shallow depth of field - however I've been thinking a lot recently that not having every lens actually forces me to be more creative in my framing and storytelling so limitations can actually be advantages if you use them to motivate you!

I just ordered this monopod today which would be fantastic for your trip too, if you can squeeze it into your budget:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/737980-REG/Manfrotto_561BHDV_1_Fluid_...

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Jan 23, 2013 at 10:00:05 am

Take a look at the Sony EA50 or the FS100.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jan 23, 2013 at 4:18:32 pm

I've shot both, and for the mony you are spending on a 5d you can get a very good camcorder. Having a zoom that doesn't go out of focus as you track someone can be a big advantage, and ergonomically they are built better. Rent one if you can before buying.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]