FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stuttering on dslrs

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
juan comodoro
Stuttering on dslrs
on Jan 20, 2013 at 5:57:41 am

I have noticed that the most recent post about stuttering on dslrs is about two years old. This is an old problem but there seems to be nothing new to solve it. Maybe you guys have heard of something knew that I haven't heard. I have two Canon 60d and the problem is present in both of them. I find it interesting that everybody for some reason, which I still cannot understand, tries to blame this problem on the operator. The advice is always the same (shoot on manual, pan slow, fix it in post with frame blending, low shutter speed, class ten memory card, more than 20mb per second etc..) but the problem so far persists. What I find fascinating about it is that this issue is not mentioned with the native problems of dslr video, moire and rolling shutter. It should be moire, rolling shutter and stuttering. I worked on a feature film which was shot with three 5D M3 by a very experienced crew. Now the producer is asking the cinematographer to shoot again about 20% of the movie because of this stuttering issue, he assumes that the cinematographer should have known his equipment better. The movie Tiny Furniture, shot with a 7d (on Netflix), has stuttering issues also. Everybody is looking for the film look, but shooting at 24 fps on a dslr is pretty much useless unless you don't pan and the actors do not move. I want to be wrong about this, so if you guys have any advice or know about any new tricks or software that can solve this problem please let me know. Me and many others will appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Stuttering on dslrs
on Jan 21, 2013 at 9:25:44 am

The only time I've seen stuttering on DSLRs is if the card has problems. Even the best cards sometimes has problems, just like any other media device. No one delivers 100% perfection in manufacturing.

Other than this, I haven't seen the problem, ever.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

John Young
Re: Stuttering on dslrs
on Jan 22, 2013 at 4:52:07 pm

Juan,
I honestly am not really sure what you are talking about. Can you describe what you mean by "stuttering"?

I have shot for two years on 7D and 60D. I have shot plenty of motion shots, where either the camera or the subject is moving, and often times both. I have intermixed DSLRs with our dedicated standard video cameras. I have edited and finished hours and hours of DSLR footage. I don't really know what "stuttering" you are talking about. Please explain so we can get a better idea of what you mean.

Thanks,
John

John Young
Surrounding Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]