FORUMS: list search recent posts

What Camera to Get??

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carlos aguilar
What Camera to Get??
on Jan 17, 2013 at 7:41:40 am

Hi I have a few interviews to shoot in three weeks. They're going to be mainly indoors (inside a hotel room). I'm looking for cameras that are relatively good at low-lightning. I would love to rent a DSLR but the problem is their recording time limit. I'd like to shoot more than 30 min. continuously. I found a panasonic af 100 at a really low price but that camera seems really complicated to use for non-pros.

Help pleaseee

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: What Camera to Get??
on Jan 17, 2013 at 12:32:08 pm

Can you hit pause on the record every 20-30 minutes shooting an interview...? Most likely.

Chris

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Jan 17, 2013 at 2:16:24 pm

No need to hit pause. You can rent a Panasonic GH2 or GH3 (with headphone jack) from either lensrentals.com or borrowlenses.com

Simpler to use than the AF100, great for interviews and no time limit.

Here is what the GH2 can do in an indoor interview setting:

And outdoors:

Here is the GH3 outdoors (50mbps):

Cheers,

Bill

Return to posts index

carlos aguilar
on Jan 17, 2013 at 8:26:00 pm

Ohh I'm loving the GH-2, it has basically the same specs as the af100 except the XLR inputs right? Looks good for low-light, is there a cheap lightkit that you recommend too to get good results?

I'm liking the other options too, thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

carlos aguilar
on Jan 17, 2013 at 10:26:21 pm

The GH-2 doesn't have headphone jack so I can monitor audio while recording. That's a big concern :(

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:03:16 am

Carlos - I recommend the GH3 - it will give you both long recording times and a headphone jack - and it will be a lot less expensive than renting the AF100 (or a C100/C300!).

Lensrentals: http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/micro-four-thirds/cameras/panasonic-gh3

Borrowlenses: http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/DSLR_vid/Panasonic_Lumix_DMCGH3_Mirrorl...

Good luck with your interview project!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

carlos aguilar
on Jan 18, 2013 at 4:17:58 am

oh wow Bill that looks even better, thank you so much. It's really cheap too. What are the main differences between this one and the gh2?

I was looking to rent the Lowel DV Creator 44 Kit and senheisser wireless lav mic. Do you think those are good?

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Jan 18, 2013 at 9:08:47 pm

Carlos - Great choice on the GH3! What lens(es) do you plan to use?

But that's a lot of money for light rental. If you're looking at the Lowel DV Creator Kit from lensrentals.com, that's $87 for 6 days plus $50 for shipping. You might as well buy your own 3 light set (with backdrops) for $170.

The Sennheiser G3 is a very good choice for your wireless mic, but you will need a Hosa XLR to 3.5mm line matching transformer to connect it to the GH3.

Again, hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jan 23, 2013 at 9:00:21 pm

Hey Bill, cool clips, I like the way you used a slider to add motion to what would otherwise be a static, boring shot, very cool work!

Steve Crow
Crow Digital Media
http://www.CrowDigitalMedia.com

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Jan 17, 2013 at 2:56:44 pm

If you absolutely have to shoot above 30 minutes, then DSLRs are not for you. The sensors heat up and it'll make life difficult.

Even the cheap video cameras are more complicated than a DSLR, regardless of budget. You might want to get a cheap camera that has a full auto mode, like the Canon XA10. It ticks all the right boxes for your kind of work.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 17, 2013 at 3:30:54 pm

Ya, a GH3 would be my choice for a DSLR for video.

Chris

Return to posts index

Sam Red
on Jan 17, 2013 at 6:01:20 pm

If you want a dslr feel, with no time limit and have the budget. look at renting C100 or C300 they are pretty cool (slr like) but kinda pricey.
otherwise try a BMC awesome exposure latitude but be ready to do a bit of color management.
If you cant get a hold of the above or just want to go simple and effective try a Sony Xa-10 or XF105/305, they are pretty good on low light and have xlr inputs great for interview recording.

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Jan 17, 2013 at 7:48:17 pm

If you are hard set on the HD enabled DSLR's other than the GH series, look into renting a camera that has a direct out HDMI, then rent a Ninja 2 with an external drive which should run for a very long time.

RM

Return to posts index

charles meadows
on Jan 18, 2013 at 12:23:29 pm

We're busy using the Nikon D800 cameras for a multitude or corporate videos and broadcast productions. We've been really happy with the results. Nice thing is we're also using the Atomos Ninja 2 coupled to the D800 for the broadcast shoots and getting exceptionally pleasing results.

"There's no point in filming if you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa
http://www.incubatevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

Rob Manning
on Jan 18, 2013 at 5:52:03 pm

Charles,

I was taking the high road, tools are chosen and used variously.

I am a Nikon junkie, lenses, D-800, D-7000 back up and D3S for venue stills.

RM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]