FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D cut off before 11min limit

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick 2746
Canon 7D cut off before 11min limit
on Jan 14, 2013 at 2:41:15 pm

Yesterday I was shooting a show with Canon 7D and during the filming the camera sometimes cut-off before its usual 12 min limit. Here are the durations of the recorded clips once the record button was pressed:

12min, 3min 38sec, 12min, 8 min 23sec, 7 min (I pressed the stop button)

Overheating of the camera was not as issue as no temperature warning came up. Moreover I was filming at 20 deg C and this has never been an issue.

I have filmed such shows many times using the same 32 GB CF 60MB/sec Sandisk card without any problem. So I am puzzled. I wonder if it had something to do with the card and not the camera. The card might be reaching the end of its life. Has anyone come across this problem before?

Return to posts index

Angie Bee
Re: Canon 7D cut off before 11min limit
on Jan 15, 2013 at 12:47:26 pm

I came across this issue while shooting with the 5D Mark 2. I have a set of trusty Sandisk 90mb/s 32gb CF cards which I had used in my 5d for a long time. They'd held up fine. I then transferred them over to the C300 and shot with the same cards fine. However, when I switched back to my 5D, the same issue that's happening to you happened to me. I puzzled over it for a long time, and the only solution I could come up with was downgrading the 5D's firmware and then putting the newer firmware on the CF cards and installing the software from them in-camera. You'll have to do this for the number of flash cards you have. It's worked fine to this day (6 months) without a hitch. It also works with magic lantern (i.e you just put magic lantern on all of the CF cards and install it in-camera. You can then delete it if you'd prefer.

Angie Bee

Return to posts index

Nick 2746
on Jan 15, 2013 at 4:33:49 pm

Thanks Angie for taking time to reply to my email. I had upgraded the firmware of 7D last year but after that I have had no problem filming continuously for 11 minute sessions on 7D. I had formatted the card in 7D last week and had filmed some short clips with it, which were sitting on the card. Before filming the show I had checked that there was plenty of space on the card as I had used up around 1 GB of memory.

Could it be that there was some data sitting on the card, which got in the way in the writing of the bigger chunks of data. May be I can't use a partially used card for 11 min recording sessions. However, this shouldn't really be the case.

It seems from your experience that the problem is with the memory card and not with the camera, which is a relief. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Jan 16, 2013 at 4:43:59 am

Nick - Glad it was the card and not your camera. But life can be better - there are DSLR-type cameras with no limits on clip length (Panasonic GH2/GH3, Canon 1D C), 30 minute limits (Sony, Nikon D600/D800, Canon 5D MkIII), 22 minute limits (Canon T4i), 20 minute limits (Nikon D5100, D7000) and 12 minute limits (rest of the Canons). If longer clips are important to you, it might be time for another camera.

Cheers,

Bill

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Jan 16, 2013 at 6:01:12 pm

I would lean toward a card issue. Stop using that card and pop in a new one to see if you have the issue. If not, then you've found the culprit.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Nick 2746
on Jan 22, 2013 at 8:19:14 pm

Yes, process of elimination might be the only option. I suppose I an still use my 32GB card for stills... They are expensive.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]