FORUMS: list search recent posts

A few questions on how to spend my investment...

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Kennedy
A few questions on how to spend my investment...
on Jan 14, 2013 at 1:07:59 pm

Hi everyone, first post here at Creative Cow. I have been coming here for ages finding the answers to my questions, this time I have something a little more important I wanted to get some focused answers/opinions on.

Coming some time in the next month, I am going to be doing a little shopping. I just recently started up my new LLC focusing on multimedia solutions and design. My first thought was to purchase a DSLR & Full 1080P HD camcorder for commercials/docus/music videos/shorts/photos/infomercial stuff etc. When I really sit and think about it, I have been reading GREAT reviews on the Nikon D800. Not only does it shoot at 32+ megapixels but the HD video looks amazing. So, I have been thinking of not even getting a video camera, and just going all in with the D800. First of all, I wouldn't consider myself a photography professional, I have much more experience with video. With that being said, is the D800 going to do what I think it is? Will it be a viable replacement for a full 1080p hd camcorder? I am not shooting anything too crazy, mostly just commercials for small businesses, music videos for local artists, stuff like that. Having the ability to take pictures and do video in a snap seems great to me. Everything about the scenario makes me drool.

Is the D800 a good investment? Will I be kicking myself in the rear after I drop $4-5000 on the body and lens(s) etc.? I have a $10,000 budget to purchase everything I need to start up. After the D800 purchase I just need a couple minor computer upgrades, a new laptop or tablet for presentation, some audio equipment and I think that is about it. I know there are some things that could pop up, so I am trying to leave myself around $2000 of headroom. The D800 will be a huge investment. I don't really have anyone I could talk to this about around me, noone I socialize with is in this field, so this is a bit tricky. If someone can point me to some alternatives or let me know if I am on the right track, I would be very appreciative.

Return to posts index

Rob Kennedy
Re: A few questions on how to spend my investment...
on Jan 14, 2013 at 4:04:24 pm

I spent some of today playing with my friends Canon 7D. Took some time to check out the 5D and the 5D M2/3. So many choices! ha. Looking forward to some opinions, thanks everyone.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 15, 2013 at 8:29:44 am

don't forget the panny gh2/3, good video quality, unlimited recording time compared to 29 min. or less for most other dslrs.

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:19:19 am

I would recommend the Sony FS100 over a DSLR any day. If you do plan to go the DSLR, check this out: http://wolfcrow.com/blog/what-is-the-best-dslr-for-video/

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:21:55 am

Or the Fs-700. It's my favorite camera ever. Slow mo is great for music videos too.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]