FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need expertise (ie, insight/thoughts on most appropriate equipment to purchase)

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Cochran
Need expertise (ie, insight/thoughts on most appropriate equipment to purchase)
on Jan 12, 2013 at 1:26:54 am

Greetings,

First, a little background...I was a professional commercial photographer x ~10 years back in the 80's (when the F3HP was king) until I decided to go into medicine (logical career path, no doubt). So although rusty, I still have a bit of retained knowledge about such things. Recently, I had the pleasure of seeing my daughter's wedding ceremony which was followed a couple of months later by the horror of seeing what was supposedly a professional-level video of said ceremony. I'll save your eyes the trauma of the words I'd like to use to describe what a piece of trash the finished product turned out to be. That event prompted me to ask/look around and I found that the majority of weddings/event videography have about the same degree of quality as my daughter's. So, I've decided I'd like to start doing a bit of videography (weddings, events, whatever) on the side as I think there is a need (at least in my area) for someone to take some pride in their work and deliver a polished product.

A friend of mine, a professional film and television editor based in Vancouver, has given me a few suggestions on what equipment to buy and I've got the following nailed down (I think):

3 T4i's
50mm 1.2 prime
70-200 2.8
Manfrotto bases and heads
a few UHS-I 64 GB cards
1 Glidecam stabilizer
Pelican cases

What I need help in deciding:

wireless mics
on camera mic (?)
3rd lens
external/add-on battery/power supply/packs
accessories and all the little things I've missed.

I'll be building a PC to handle the editing with PrP, so I think I have that covered.

One last thing (at least for the moment), how concerned should I be about the possibility of the T4i's overheating? I've read that at the very least it's a theoretical problem, but Google searches have not turned up any information about real world performance in this regard.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Need expertise (ie, insight/thoughts on most appropriate equipment to purchase)
on Jan 13, 2013 at 8:25:35 am

here's all the random stuff you could buy off the top of my head, based upon things you might do which requires needing more stuff...

make sure the 70-200 2.8 is macro too, so you can get minimum distance if necessary. parfocal(not change focus), constant aperture, a good countryman lav,DPA 4071, a rode mic(they sound good for the price), maybe a long shotgun mic like MKH 70, MKH 50s for interiors, maybe a portable mixer, a cat for the mic on a windy day, or more expensive Audio Ltd. 2040 radio mics with RK6 (six-channel radio rack),

there's some really cool lcd lights out now that vary intesity and color temp, plus you don't have to buy bulbs, enough batteries that you could switch them out off an inverter in your car,

an external sound recorder, maybe even consider an external hdmi recorder. I'd also get a wide angle lens, bout 25 or 28 maybe even a 14 so you can open up the door to landscape, buildings, etc. some sort of rail system, crane, mini stand, a rig of some sort. etc. ad nauseum

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: Need expertise (ie, insight/thoughts on most appropriate equipment to purchase)
on Jan 13, 2013 at 9:50:17 am

Hi William - welcome back to world of imagemaking! On the T4i - it may not overheat, but it will definitely shut down after 22 minutes of continuous recording (see specs here, click on "specifications" and scroll down to "continuous shooting time"). People who buy Canon DSLRs for video are sometimes surprised when they shut down in the middle of a shot (see this thread for a T3i shooter who was surprised when his camera shut down after 12 minutes).

If you need shallow depth of field video in a DSL-type camera that you can put on a tripod in the back of the church, turn on and leave running for hours, your only choices are the Panasonic GH2 or its successor, the new GH3 cameras.

Here is what the GH2 can do: http://vimeo.com/37401106

Here is what the GH3 can do: http://vimeo.com/52632262

For wireless mics, you need a couple of Sennheiser G3s. They are the best wireless lavs below $1000.

On camera mics are OK for pickups, but most of the amateur mics with 3.5mm unbalanced outputs are not very good. I use a pro mic with a balanced XLR output - and an inexpensive little XLR to 3.5mm transformer cable to match the impedance of my camera's input (see photo here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6x2ziHgKUyQ/UOq2-ksrfPI/AAAAAAAAGXk/8i0Hrh9rLFw/s1149/P1010660.JPG)

With this setup, I get really directional sound with very little noise introduced by the mic. To get away from these cameras' noisy preamps and really clean up the sound, however, you will need a high quality mixer/preamp such as a Sound Design 442 or an SQN.

Hope this has been somewhat helpful, and good luck with your new (old endeavor!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Jan 13, 2013 at 9:52:41 am

Hi William - welcome back to world of imagemaking! On the T4i - it may not overheat, but it will definitely shut down after 22 minutes of continuous recording (see specs here, click on "specifications" and scroll down to "continuous shooting time"). People who buy Canon DSLRs for video are sometimes surprised when they shut down in the middle of a shot (see this thread for a T3i shooter who was surprised when his camera shut down after 12 minutes).

If you need shallow depth of field video in a DSL-type camera that you can put on a tripod in the back of the church, turn on and leave running for hours, your only choices are the Panasonic GH2 or its successor, the new GH3 cameras.

Here is what the GH2 can do:

Here is what the GH3 can do:

For wireless mics, you need a couple of Sennheiser G3s. They are the best wireless lavs below $1000.

On camera mics are OK for pickups, but most of the amateur mics with 3.5mm unbalanced outputs are not very good. I use a pro mic with a balanced XLR output - and an inexpensive little XLR to 3.5mm transformer cable to match the impedance of my camera's input (see photo here: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-6x2ziHgKUyQ/UOq2-ksrfPI/AAAAAAAAGXk/8i0Hrh9rLFw/s...)

With this setup, I get really directional sound with very little noise introduced by the mic. To get away from these cameras' noisy preamps and really clean up the sound, however, you will need a high quality mixer/preamp such as a Sound Design 442 or an SQN.

Hope this has been somewhat helpful, and good luck with your new (old endeavor!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

William Cochran
on Jan 13, 2013 at 5:36:21 pm

Thanks for the input, guys! Curious...is there a remote that will control the T4i? My intention was to have 2 stationary cams and one hand-held during a ceremony. I can handle the mobile one of course and an assistant the other two, but just in case I have no assistant for a shoot (or if one of the cameras is positioned in such a way that approaching it would interrupt or be detrimental to the ceremony/shot), I would like to be able to remote operate them.

I'll look at your other recommendations this afternoon.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]