FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 550d, 60fps - Slow Motion and Frame Rate Conversions

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Hill
Canon 550d, 60fps - Slow Motion and Frame Rate Conversions
on Dec 23, 2012 at 7:58:06 pm

Hey guys,

Possibly a couple of noob questions here...I've been researching for the last two days but the posts I've come across seem either dated or not quite what I'm after...or major techno waffle, go easy on me! :)

I've been shooting with a Canon 550d, NTSC 60fps, intending to grab some slow-motion of some girls kicking about a ball, tackling etc.

I tried to keep my shutter speed around the 1/120 as I read this would give me best results for slow-mo at 60fps. (is that right?)

So..

1. Should I convert to 24fps, 25fps or 30fps? I'm looking for as smooth/crisp as possible slow motion - may apply Twixtor if I decide to get it...and then finally want to upload to Vimeo.

2. I am aware FCP has Cinetools to do a frame rate conversion but I unfortunately don't have access to FCP atm, is there any other way to do it? Or do I rob my friends Mac and FCP?

3. What's the best possible way to avoid juddering with fast movements if I'm shooting 60fps/50fps? Am I on the right lines shooting 1/120?

Thanks guys!
Merry Xmas
Amy

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: Canon 550d, 60fps - Slow Motion and Frame Rate Conversions
on Dec 24, 2012 at 4:52:40 am

1. Doesn't matter, there's an established workflow for all three. Where are you planning to show this - web, DVD, etc.?

2. Any good NLE can do this. Use the project setting that conforms to your final delivery, as in 1

3. 1/120 is a good start, but don't take that too seriously. You should experiment with shorter shutter speeds. Here's an excellent primer: http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/shutter-angle-tutorial

Hope this helps. Happy holidays!

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Amy Hill
on Dec 24, 2012 at 6:47:31 pm

Thanks for your reply Sareesh!

I'll be uploading the film to Web - sites such as Vimeo and Filmannex...Looking at other threads I kind of got the impression that 60fps ideally should be converted to 30fps, 50fps to 25fps....but then there's 24fps, so I get quite confused!

But I'll be sure to experiment too!

Thanks for your time and Happy Xmas!
Amy

Return to posts index

Amy Hill
on Dec 24, 2012 at 6:42:23 pm

Nice tutorial thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]